When I pass my PADI (fingers crossed) what equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D Powell

Registered
Reaction score
Should I buy

i.e Should I buy the best mask and fins/flippers as in guessing they are not too expensive? And if so what brand.

Thank you

Mask, snorkel, fins, boots are the pretty universal personal gear that people buy, normally up front (for use during the course, even).
A good fit on the mask is really important -- some people have easy-to-fit faces, others have problems. Some people like purges in their masks, others don't. This piece of gear is often really good to get from a Local Dive Shop (LDS), where you can try several on to see what fits best.
Boots and flippers aren't as tough to get a fit on, though many people pick them up at the same time, at the LDS.
Snorkel beats me. I bought a normal one, sold from my LDS, though after certification I fairly quickly put it away, switched to a roll-up snorkel that normally stays in a BC pocket.
No recommendations on brands -- I'm content with mine, though many people use different brands, all good stuff. You might want to look at some of the threads in the gear forums (and see what your LDS has).
My mask is no more than middle cost, no purge, I've been entirely happy with it. My fins were likewise middle-tier, also have worked quite well. I've since picked up a nice pair of Kinesis fins, "good stuff", just for use with my dry suit; happy with the lower cost ones as well as the higher cost.
(It's also quite possible to buy this stuff online, though for someone really new, no clue about the gear, a halfway decent LDS can be really helpful.)
Good luck -- welcome to a "gear head" sport :)

D Powell:
Should I buy

i.e Should I buy the best mask and fins/flippers as in guessing they are not too expensive? And if so what brand.

Thank you

It really depends on how much you're planning to dive. I'd recommend mask, fins and snorkel, also a dive computer like a Suunto Gecko is worth having. Other than that, spend your money on diving rather than kit, that way you can try a few different regs, bcds etc and will be more informed when you buy your own.

I would buy everything up front if you like diving. After certifying I bought my BCD, Computer, Regs, Wetsuit, Tank, Snorkel, Fins and Mask. Granted it cost a small fortune, BUT if I had to run out and rent this equipment everytime I wanted to go diving I probably would not be diving. Personally I bought the best equipment I could afford. I did not want to have to upgrade to something better down the road. Good luck!!!
David

Sometimes you can get a pretty good deal if you do a bulk equipment buy, depends on your finances. I actually did buy a full set, after my 5th OW class -- bought all very good, though not top end, gear, and my shop offered a very good discount (and continues to provide that discount, over time, on any purchase over like $25).
I was fortunate in being able to afford it, many might not be able to, and in knowing I really liked to dive (something I had wanted to do for years). It's definitely true that those who buy gear tend to dive more.
The above all said, buying everything up front is iffy -- you might not want to do it unless you have a solid rapport with people at your LDS, and/or have experienced diving friends to talk with. I did it, am very glad I did, but appreciate the recommendation of others to try renting various makes/models of equipment early on.

I agree , do not get "entry level" gear thinking or needing to upgrade later
I was told by the instructor to get good, quality gear because your gear is going to last many years of diving (maybe lifetime) Good quality does not mean the most expensive , I bought all my gear after first pool session
Your BC is one area that you need to try out different styles though , I started classes with a jacket style and found that I didn't like the restriction when inflated on the long surface swims out from the beach, my LDS that I was getting classes from, took it back (this may be an important LDS consideration) and I now have a back inflate

DB

I was lucky there, too -- my Instructor asked at the first session who thought they might be buying gear fairly soon, immediately put me in a back inflate BCD. It was a different make than what I bought, but I was comfortable in it.

Buying anything other than the personal gear takes thought on what you expect to do. I'm in a cold water area, purposefully bought regs with a good reputation for that. (Having regs that are locally popular, can be serviced by an LDS, can be handy -- online buys are fine, but I like to be able to ask simple questions, get things tweaked.)

Likewise, I fully expected to travel, bought a BCD that travels well (is fairly compact -- all my gear for a one week diving trip, including pony bottle, fit in a single checked bag plus daypack carry on).

Since it's a cold water area, I got both a full wetsuit and 5 mm core warmer (I actually did certs in a drysuit, because I wanted to extend the season out to the edges). I run warm, so use just the core warmer for water above about 68F, only just switched back to full wetsuit, will likely go full + core in a couple weeks, then back to dry.

Purchase the best mask, fins, boots you can afford. By the best I mean the best for you as in fit, comfort, durability etc. These are the basic items most people carry and will not rent from a dive shop.

If you have funds available you can next purchase a suit, BCD, weight and regs. Most people will then rent tanks when they want to dive.

Best bet is to look at your most common dive areas and talk to local divers to determine what will match your needs: 3mil 5 or 7 wetsuit, perhaps dry suit if the conditions warrant. BCD, back plate/wing, back inflation.....cold water regs, warm water, backup reg, computer console etc. There are alot of decisions to make with regards to these items and they are the most $$. It may take you longer to research and hopefully your LDS has some different gear you can rent and get familliar with.

I would purchase the gear that is the hardest to fit and most personal (touches your skin kinda thing)

All this has to be based on how much your thinking of diving so as to make your dives to $$$ ratio the best it can be (logic I use with my wife, the more I dive the cheaper each dive gets ha ha )

Any way hope this helps, enjoy the diving

D Powell:
Should I buy

Thank you

When I took my class, I had to buy all the personal gear (mask, snorkel, fins, booties, gloves). So, I would recommend buying those first.

You can rent everything else as your start diving and when you have the money, make another purchase. As your rent, try different brands of equipment and different tanks. Find out what you like and works best for you before you make the purchase.

First, I would recommend custom wetsuit, that way you do not have to worry about one not fitting right if you rent one. Everything else is adjustable, like a B/C.

I bought a wetsuit right after my OW class. Next on my list is B/C, then regulators, followed by a dive computer.

Back
Top Bottom