When is a newbie No longer a newbie.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The more experience a diver has, the slower they swim!

When you find that you take your time, really look at what is under the surface, and can honestly say that you feel relaxed and calm under the water. Then you are no longer a newbie.

Most new divers are jack rabbits, and tend to "brag" about how fast they can swim and how far they can go. They don't see anything, but they what they don't see, they don't see really really fast! :11:

So when you treat a dive like an easy slow paced stroll through a flower garden,(or antique car museum) you have then graduated up from the ranks of the noobs.

I am a :newbie: and I know it!

I like the fact that I still have tons of stuff to learn. I like the fact that at times its a bit of an uphill stuggle. Somethings are becoming second nature, but there is still a lot that has to be consciously done.

Mind you being a newbie still has some advantages - "I need to dive lots to improve my skills" is becoming a catchphrase :sly:

Here's to years of improvement!

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

pt40fathoms:
The more experience a diver has, the slower they swim!

When you find that you take your time, really look at what is under the surface, and can honestly say that you feel relaxed and calm under the water. Then you are no longer a newbie.

So when you treat a dive like an easy slow paced stroll through a flower garden,(or antique car museum) you have then graduated up from the ranks of the noobs.

LOL, ain't this the truth!!! When I first started out, I wasn't trying to be fast for bragging rights, but I wanted to see everything! If I didn't fin like Jaws was chasing me, I might miss out on that pod of dolphins jumping over the whale shark that was following the manta rays!! Might explain those 30 minute bottom times combined with the fact that I'm a relatively small female who was using 26 lbs to bring me careening to the bottom.

Now that I've slowed down, I see a lot more stuff, and have a more peaceful and comfortable dive, plus I get out of the water ready to go back in rather than gasping and panting. I've also taken 8 lbs off my belt (well, now out of my pocket). I'll be able to ditch more once I get a steel tank to replace my AL80.

Ishie

ascubaguy:
Your a newbie if you act like one. Ive only been diving a year now. Im a new diver not a newbie, it sound's better. I have just over 100 dives but im still a new diver.

I jumped back on the dive boat and exclaimed "I FOUND NEMO!" One gentleman on the boat asked me if these were my first dives. I explained that every dive is my first dive. The day I am not a newbie, I quite diving. :babycrawl:

ScubaHawk:
I jumped back on the dive boat and exclaimed "I FOUND NEMO!" One gentleman on the boat asked me if these were my first dives. I explained that every dive is my first dive. The day I am not a newbie, I quite diving. :babycrawl:
Good point, if you quit entering the water in wonder,
then well, maybe it's time to quit entering the water.

Tom

I Would Consider Myself A Newbie, And Not Have A Problem With It. I Only Have 6 Dives Since I Got My O/w Cert. 4 Dives With A Scuba Cert. So I Have Even Begun Yet. I Dive With Lots Of Expirenced People Who Train Alot. Hopefully I'll Have Over 50 Dive In 2008 From Dutch Springs, The Atlantic Can't See, Bahamas, And Bonaire. Maybe Also Florida If I Can Afford It. Dive Safe And Offen !!!!

You are always a newbie until you dive with a BP/W and rip on people who uses jacketed BCs.

After second reef dive.

I Would Consider Myself A Newbie, And Not Have A Problem With It.

You are a newbie if you respond to a thread that is almost four years old.

:eyebrow:

Couldn't resist!

Why does a label even matter?
What benefit is gained from assigning a new label to how many dives you have or how many patches you have?
Being able to understand and fully appreciate the environment that you dive in is what should be the goal. That can be done by doing a lot of dives (maybe) or perhaps more likely by seriously slowing down and becoming proficient in what you want to do.
If you want to take good photographs under water and are content to dive in mild Caribbean reef conditions then perhaps you reach that status by obtaining buoyancy skills that make you one with the ocean while being able to multi-task, stay alert and aware and still be a good buddy while taking the macro picture of your dreams.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom