When is a newbie No longer a newbie.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You Guys Are Right I Am Just Trying To Get Comfortable With The Ocean, I Went To A Scuba Flea Market Here In Nj Yesterday. My First And Got The Things I Needed, Even A Tank. Hey Rjp I Didn't Realize That Thread Was Old, I Guess I Was Beating A Dead Dog. My Bad I'll Check Next Time !!!!!! Dive Safe And Often ......

When you stop worrying over terms like newbie, you probably stop being one:D

You are a newbie if you respond to a thread that is almost four years old.

:eyebrow:

Couldn't resist!

Lol, I'm glad I saw your post before I shared my bit of brilliance. I seldom dredge up ancient history because I mostly hit the New Posts link but once someone has revived an old thread I have a bad habit of not looking at the posting date.

I Would Consider Myself A Newbie, And Not Have A Problem With It. I Only Have 6 Dives Since I Got My O/w Cert. 4 Dives With A Scuba Cert. So I Have Even Begun Yet. I Dive With Lots Of Expirenced People Who Train Alot. Hopefully I'll Have Over 50 Dive In 2008 From Dutch Springs, The Atlantic Can't See, Bahamas, And Bonaire. Maybe Also Florida If I Can Afford It. Dive Safe And Offen !!!!

You are a newbie if you respond to a thread that is almost four years old.

And you are a :dork2: newbie when you post to forums with caps locked! :shakehead:

you are no longer a newbie when you can recite all the great phrases you can make with the letters PADI.. The ones they won't let you use on this board....

Its pretty impossible to do with dive number alone.

For example someone with 200 dives, 50% in quarries and 50% on 15m tropical reef in warm water and no current is probably less experienced with varying conditions and scenarios than someone with 100 dives all in the sea and has experienced currents, cold water, rough seas, low vis AND been abroad to do the warm water thing.

Width of experience counts for more than numbers.

You could in theory have a padi OW "beginnger" with 200 dives and a padi AOW/Rescue with 20 dives. From that scenario, certification level isnt a good guide either.

I do tend to agree though that ALL divers should receive rescue training as soon as practical. Without that its a little unsettling for the buddy.

You'll probalby find yourself when you no longer class yourself as a "newbie". You'll get to a site, make your own personal judgment about conditions without even thinking about doing it and on dives you'll be very relaxed and know exactly what you're doing throughout. When those things start to happen, for those conditions at least you wont be thinking "im new at this".

In short where your knowledge of a site or dive would allow you to tell others (if asked) what to do and what is happening as opposed to following the leader or waiting to be told what to do.

Good post . . .this makes good sense to me and though maybe not always a practical approach, it certainly seems to be a realistic approach.

Its pretty impossible to do with dive number alone.

For example someone with 200 dives, 50% in quarries and 50% on 15m tropical reef in warm water and no current is probably less experienced with varying conditions and scenarios than someone with 100 dives all in the sea and has experienced currents, cold water, rough seas, low vis AND been abroad to do the warm water thing.

Width of experience counts for more than numbers.

You could in theory have a padi OW "beginnger" with 200 dives and a padi AOW/Rescue with 20 dives. From that scenario, certification level isnt a good guide either.

I do tend to agree though that ALL divers should receive rescue training as soon as practical. Without that its a little unsettling for the buddy.

You'll probalby find yourself when you no longer class yourself as a "newbie". You'll get to a site, make your own personal judgment about conditions without even thinking about doing it and on dives you'll be very relaxed and know exactly what you're doing throughout. When those things start to happen, for those conditions at least you wont be thinking "im new at this".

In short where your knowledge of a site or dive would allow you to tell others (if asked) what to do and what is happening as opposed to following the leader or waiting to be told what to do.
I like this definition .. and I agree on the cert level thing, as one of those that got rescue around 20 dives, I can tell you that just having a card is not the criteria to use .. I still call myself a newbe, not because I'm uncomfortable in the water, or have poor skills (at least they say that I don't :wink: ) ... it's because that after reading this board, and only having 52 dives, I have some idea how much I don't know

Edit: beating old dead horses is a favorite pastime :D

Back
Top Bottom