When is it too rough on the Gulf?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so the weather not looking favorable for saturday and sunday? I see the tide and swell reports look good but the small watercraft advisory.... 1 says 1 thing 1 says another.

IMO this weekend is out. You're going to have current and those waves coming in and lots of chop. Just not the best/safest of conditions to be out in. I'm guessing any charters will probably be cancelling. There is always next weekend :)

Thanks "misdirected" actually I think that should be my name right now cause I'm really having a challenge getting use to this forum. so far I've been trying to dive with some new friends but they are either new to the area or new to diving like me.

Your post was very helpful and I didn't know that FL Conch Divers was the main forum. Is ther a way to build a quick link to such forum since I'm not finding what I need under FAQ.

Also, should I delete the previous message from the top of this screen before I repy?

One More, why isn't my pic on my msg, did I load too big a jpg?

Interpreting forecasts and picking conditions within your likes and dislikes for diving comes with time. Also, it varies with location. Wind speed is important but so is direction and duration. It can be blowing 20 kts.+ off SE Florida but if it is from the NW and not been underway for very long, visibility can improve. Current in deeper water can increase too as that direction of wind brings in the Gulfstream/Florida Current close to shore. After a while though, refracted waves can really suspend a lot of sediment messing viz up on inshore reefs. None of this necessarily applies to your area, as the bathymetry, dive areas, currents, etc. are different. There is a lot more to know for wind out of other directions, not only for my area but state wide. Lot of variation out there. Pays to learn what works in your area, in time it comes across.

Jupiter31, I'm already using Marine Forecast, but how did you get to the Small craft advisory?

Thanks "misdirected" actually I think that should be my name right now cause I'm really having a challenge getting use to this forum. so far I've been trying to dive with some new friends but they are either new to the area or new to diving like me.

Your post was very helpful and I didn't know that FL Conch Divers was the main forum. Is ther a way to build a quick link to such forum since I'm not finding what I need under FAQ.

Also, should I delete the previous message from the top of this screen before I repy?

One More, why isn't my pic on my msg, did I load too big a jpg?

Click on the Florida Conch linke, in the lower left bottom of page/screen there is a box asking you to subscribe to forum, do so. Now everytime you go to your "User CP" (located in red bar on top of page), you will see the Florida Conch.

Note you will recieve emails everytime someone posts to the Conch once you subscribe to the forum. To stop that, go to your "User CP" again, under that look to your left, about half-way down you will see "Edit Options", go there. Under Edit Options you will find where you can change your settings so that you will not recieve email alerts. Everything will still be under "User CP"; every forum you subscribe to and every thread you make a post in will show up there. :D

Pic - do you mean your profile pic or did you load a pic into a post you made?

D - Here is a link to NOAA: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/tbw/index.php I'd bookmark it. Also check into Wind Guru - excellent site.

Oh and I forgot to answer your question about deleting messages... No you do not delete your question at the top. This is now a Thread. A thread is account of everyone who answered your initial question.

Now say if you need to edit your post - let's say you forgot to throw in a link or something; in the lower right of your post you will see an edit button You have X amount of hours to do that. Afterward, you would have to ask a mod for assistance. :)

I'd like to add that I find beach cams to be very helpful. I'm sorry, I'm an East coaster so I don't have the links for the ones in your area, but I'm sure someone will be along to share some soon.

For example, the Fort Lauderdale beach cam is at http://www.sunny.org/webcam/

Obviously we're not going out today.
show_netcam.jpg

Uh, maybe not - did you look at the forecast for Venice this weekend:

Synopsis...WINDS WILL INCREASE TONIGHT THROUGH THE UPCOMING WEEKEND AS STRONG SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE PUSHES DOWN FROM THE NORTHWEST AND AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPS OVER THE WESTERN GULF. WINDS WILL REMAIN STRONG THROUGHOUT THE PERIOD...BUT BECOME EASTERLY AS THE AREA OF HIGH PRESSURE MOVES OFF THE MID ATLANTIC COAST THROUGH THE UPCOMING WEEKEND AND EARLY NEXT WEEK AND TROPICAL CYCLONE IDA MOVES NORTH INTO THE SOUTHERN GULF. FOR THE LATEST ON IDA SEE THE LATEST ADVISORIES BEING ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER.

Tonight...Northeast winds around 20 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet building to 4 to 6 feet late. Bay and inland waters choppy.

Friday And Friday Night...Northeast winds around 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Bay and inland waters choppy.

Saturday Through Monday Night...East winds around 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Bay and inland waters choppy.

Tuesday...East winds around 15 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop. A slight chance of thunderstorms.

I happen to be on the west coast his weekend (ST Pete Beach) and the gulf is as flat as can be. It's veru windy, but flat and still warm. I imagine that Venice being just a little bit south can't be all that bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom