When is it too rough on the Gulf?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if this helps in the Keys, but we watch the surf reports. Surfers are very interested in the near shore forecasts. And if there are waves on shore, it's probably rough inshore, but that can depend on whether it's local winds or long range events.

for se florida one of the sites we use is Dade County Surf Forecast - South Florida Surfing - Beach Webcams for Miami Dade Beaches

Here's one for venice: Venice Beach Surf Report, Surf Forecast and Surf Webcams

It's got a lot of the important information concisely placed, as opposed to noaa, where it's kind of all over the place.

Same here. The surf reports are generally very accurate. I like to surf so I routinely check them every morning.

www.magicseaweed.com
www.gulfster.com

Your question about "when is it too rough?" is also relative to the size of the boat you're in. If you're in a boat that's less than 24' then typically anything over 2' is going to be very uncomfortable. Is it doable? Sure. I own a 19' Mako CC and I've been caught out in some NASTY stuff. But was the trip enjoyable? The answer is an emphatic NO.

Personally I don't go out into open water on long trips if wave height at *days end* is expected to be over 2' - if I do, I make sure to make it an early trip. To me, it's just not enjoyable to be out in those conditions. You burn more fuel, you get beat to hell, the going can be very slow - not fun for me. But hey, if you're in a 31' Contender the sky is almost the limit. Consider risk, benefit and the fun factor. If risk outweighs one or both - don't go. The ocean will always be there tomorrow.

Another thing, all should be taken with a grain of salt. I used to plan my dives around the marine forecast and missed out on a lot of good days because of it. Our SE forecast is 3-5 right now, but you can look at the webcam and see it's as flat as can be right now.

Very true. This is why most dive trips are called at the dock, not the day before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom