When to Get First Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,
I have to agree with CD since that is exactly what i did :)
The only thing that I did buy was a wet suite since that is very personal and I was kind of grossed out by renting them (on the other hand I had no problem with regulators going from mouth to mouth...I'm strange in that way)
In my opinion...wait...don't rush...make sure diving is the thing for you and then once you are sure, buy your gear. By then you will have enough experience to know what you want/need.

My 2 C

It also depends on your budget. I was fortunate in that I was able to take a loan out on my 401K and get stuff that at the time might have seemed too much for a new diver. I could have bought a BC for 300 or so, instead I spent 475 and got one with lots of features that will allow me to use it for many years and except for going more technical(doubles,stage bottles,etc) will do whatever I need it to. My first regs I bought a set of rentals from my lds that he services for me at minimal cost. I upgraded shortly after(5 months) and along with another set I bought for parts and a set of gear I bought from a guy who was giving up the sport for health reasons I now have 4 reg set ups, 2 bcs, extra weights, knives, etc. I also bought my initial set up before I even hit the pool and do not regret it for a minute. I learned in my own gear and never had to rent anything except tanks for the first 15 dives or so. By then I had 2 steel hp 80 and I now have those as well as 4 steel 72's. I will most likely log dive #100 in the keys in a week and a half or so. I got my cert in july of 04 and am nearly finished with DM, (a few I's to dot and T's to cross). I firmly believe that having my own gear is largely responsible for my continuing with this sport and even tho it can get expensive it's worth it. BTW just totaled up all my course and gear costs with the exception of a couple hundred bucks or so I have coming up here this week the grand total is now at 9376 dollars. By July I'll be taking out another loan on my 401 for my bp/w, manifold, stage bottles and regs for them. I plan on starting DSAT deep training by the end of summer. My advice is to get the best that you can afford as soon as you can. If you need to upgrade later do it and if possible don't sell your old gear to do it. I'm shipping my bc, one set of fins, wetsuit and a few other things to the resort I'm staying at next week. But with what I've done if the opportunity comes to get wet before I get to fla I can still dive in my own gear.

By the the time I was finished my last check out dive I owned all my own gear....never regreted it and make a point of telling that to my students.

BTW...that gear was purchased twenty five years ago and I still have it. The fins are in great shape and my first reg is now part of my "rental" gear.

Ron

I also think there is a logical progression to buying your first set of gear. Keep in mind, you don't have to go out and purchase everything at once. Assuming you already have the basics (mask, snorkel, booties, fins), it probably would make sense to buy a wetsuit next and possibly hood/vest and gloves. Get the thickness for the areas you will dive most often (tropical waters, 3 mil, colder or northern waters, 5-7 mil). Then go for the reg and octo. Once you have that set up, you can work on the BC. Probably a good idea to talk with different people, and get a couple of dives in different BCs to determine what you like. I know alot of people like back inflation (rear inflation) BCs, but I have dove with both (although my experience is somewhat limited), and I am really fine with either one. I tend to dive w/ as little weight as possible, so I don't inflate it that much to stay neutral anyway, which could be why I don't mind the jacket style.

Then, once you get a compelte set, you can start with the add ons and accessories you want/need.

John

My 2 psi:

Reasons to wait:
1. Take the time necessary to decide if you will dive enough to warrant the expense.
2. It's a good idea to try different types and brands of equipment, so you don't buy something that won't make you a happy diver.
3. Money. Better to use rental gear until you can afford what you really want, rather than make hasty buying decisions based on available funds.
4. Figure out what you actually need to dive safely, and comfortably. I haven't been diving very long, and I already have a collection of stuff that I wasn't happy with, and replaced or discarded. Luckily it's all small stuff (I love my bc and reg). One day I'll put the assorted stuff on Ebay.
5. If you're not sure what type of diving you will be doing (tropical, local cold water, quarry). For instance, a lot of people start out with jacket style bc's, and switch to back inflate or bp/w set ups. Some remain recreational divers, and others go tech (caves, wrecks, deep, doubles). I decided to start with a DiveRite TransPac/Wing set-up, so I can easily switch to a bp/w if I choose to down the road.

Reasons to buy your set-up now:
1. If you make a commitment to diving in the form of equipment purchases, the odds are better that you will continue to dive.
2. You'll get to know your equipment (especially your bc), and dive safer. You'll also be more comfortable if you dive in gear that you know (and that fits properly), and don't need to learn where everything is every time you dive. If you can find your accessories, buckles, weight releases, dump valve, octopus, etc easily, you can react to a "situation" without hesitation or confusion. I practice before a trip by putting on my gear, closing my eyes, and finding everything without looking. Something you will really appreciate on your first low-vis dive.
3. New toys are a good thing!!
4. You will know the history and the state of maintenance of the life support gear on which you will depend.
5. If you've already decided that diving is now part of your life, and you want to dive every chance you get. The fact that you found Scubaboard (welcome BTW) indicates more than a cursory interest.

Also, IMHO (others will definitely agree and disagree), the order of purchase if you can't take the whole plunge at one time would be:
1. Mask, fins, booties, folding snorkel, cutting tool, flashlight, slate
2. Wetsuit
3. Safety accessories (whistle, mirror, SMB, etc)
4. BC
5. Regulator
6. Computer
7. Underwater camera and other toys as you see fit

Please note: The opinions expressed above are by no means meant to influence the original poster, or other SB members. They are simply my opinions, based on my personal experiences. Please further note that I am a novice diver, and could possibly be off base on some of my ideas...........

or do I need to get out my asbestos suit?

If you buy your gear now, you WILL dive more and save money from renting. If you buy your gear at once, you'll probably stand a bigger chance of getting a huge saving from your LDS -- due to buying a package deal.

Every dive I dove with my purchased gear, I essentially "saved" $50. So, 20 outtings later, and I paid off most of my equipment -- $1000 for BCD / regs / guages / weights.

Also, don't forget that as with most small businesses, you CAN haggle down their prices. Try it and save yourself lots of $$$.

Obviously there are reasons to wait too. Are you sure you're going to stick to diving, are you finicky about your gear, etc?

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
If you buy your gear now, you WILL dive more and save money from renting. If you buy your gear at once, you'll probably stand a bigger chance of getting a huge saving from your LDS -- due to buying a package deal.

Every dive I dove with my purchased gear, I essentially "saved" $50. So, 20 outtings later, and I paid off most of my equipment -- $1000 for BCD / regs / guages / weights.

- ChillyWaters

and at that time you want something different, your gear has paid for itself and you can justify it!!!!!!
Jimbo

One other thing. If you buy quality gear (quality /= flashy) and maintain it well, you can sell or trade later on if you want. If you buy crap gear and trade up later on, you'll never recoup your money.

From what I've seen in the technical community, used gear trades hands all the time. But everyone knows what's good and what's crap, so when trades or sales of quality gear happens, no one feels poorly about their purchase. This differs somewhat from what I have seen in the recreational community, as unloading those lime-green plastic fins is pretty hard! :wink:

I have 18 dives under my belt (6 weeks of diving), and I'm taking the plunge tonight!!
That said, I 've done a lot of research and talked to a lot of people and wouldn't be buying anything if I didn't know what I wanted (at least I THINK I know what I want!!). I think it's a personal thing - if you feel ready and have the funds I'm sure you will be happier for it in the long run (and it does pay for itself pretty quickly in terms of the offset of rental prices).

PerroneFord:
..snip..
This differs somewhat from what I have seen in the recreational community, as unloading those lime-green plastic fins is pretty hard! :wink:

I never heard anybody make derogatory remarks about my lime-green fins. Generally I only get complimentary remarks about how easy they are to find & follow on a night dive when everyone else is diving blue or black. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom