Where am I going to dive with Mantas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm heading to Palau / Yap this November (Yeeeeee haaaa :jester: ), and am looking forward to seeing some of this shark / manta action.

David: PLEEEEEASE tell us more about FP. It will help me survive through October :wink: Which islands did you stay on?

Also, I am planning on going there, eventually, but it SOOOO expensive ;-0

Any good deals or savings tips you would recommend?

Thanks,

Zeina

East coast of Australia 2 spots I know of is
Wolf Rock off Rainbow Beach &
Mantaray Bommie off Stradbroke Island.
:wink:

I have not been there, but have been reading very exciting reports on GIANT manta sightings in spring :)

Another "must do" has just been added to my (extensive) list :rolleyes:

I second Rickoz's suggestion of Manta Ray Bommie off of North Stradbrooke ("Straddie") island in Queensland, Australia. I was there in December 2000 and we saw six huge Manta Rays at this cleaning station along with dozens of sharks. The dive guide claimed it was one of the Top 4 "Big Fish" dive sites in Australia.

I guess technically, it's even more out of the way than Yap, but seeing as it is the capital island of Micronesia, it's a little more accessible in terms of flights and such.

Anyway, Pohnpei has a dive site called "Manta Road" Not great for visibility because it's a really sandy area, but the name of the site does not decieve. You sit between two rocks where the current flows through and you watch one manta after another swim by.

It was an absolutely incredible experience. I even got to touch one. They are the most alien-like lifeforms I've ever seen. Like spaceships, really. But under water.

Good luck finding them!

Caymaniac......You may have gone already or have plans to ...... but if not ..... French Polynesia had no shortage of these awesome creatures !!!

Manta on the move

Zeina

Like David D we also just came back from Manihi......and those pictures were taken in the lagoon about five minutes from the only resort on this atoll.

The site is known as the Circus......its a cleaning station right inside the pass of the atoll (the only pass on the atoll that boats of any size can get through to the ocean). There was some other life at the site (bottom looked like volcanic rock....no coral so you grabbed a rock and chilled out) Groupers, nudis, different tropicals, an occasional shark.....but the main players were the Mantas

Funny thing was when we were getting briefed about the site by the Dive Master he was apologizing for the poor vis.......said it was only 60-70 feet :eek: we'll thats about 4-5 times better than what we typically see in NJ.

Depth is about 65-75 feet so its a very easy dive.....go down the mooring line and site and wait for the Mantas to come to you.....Water temp was 82-84 degrees and the vis was right on....as you could easily see the boat from the bottom

From the mooring

We never got skunked on any dive (I think we dived 4-5 times at this location alone) as there were always Mantas hanging around.....checking us out. On average we saw 3-4 Mantas a dive(never less than 3) and on a couple of dives 5-6 of them. As long as everyone cooperated (divers) and didnt scare these creatures away with any spastic movement :eek:ut:

It was all hands off and no touching ( to make sure these guys stay around) but they swam right up to you ....... and soared right over your head. I even had one slowly swim by and was looking right at me !!!!!

here's looking at you

I will write more in the days to come and get some other photos posted ........ but I will say that we already know where we are going to return when we get back to the South Pacific.......It was great!!!! Lots more to share

Scott

The hype for seeing Mantas on Kona is not advertising. The event of Mantas coming in is called Manta Madness and happens (or happened) just off of the Kona Surf Hotel. Virtually all dive operators know about the Mantas and will take you there. I've heard that the chances of seeing Mantas are 90% but for me, on different trips (2), it is 100%. I've heard that the location may have changed but I will definitely give it a try the next time I get to Kona.

By the way, I used both Eco-Adventures and Sandwich Island Divers.

:doctor: DavidE

Back
Top Bottom