Where and what time of the year is generally considered the best diving in Japan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReadyTo Dive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to put a Japan trip together next year and would like to add diving to the itinerary. So far the hammerheads at Mikomoto seem the most intriguing but I'm betting SB will have the full intel. TYIA!

Mikomoto is best Sept-Nov from what I learned when I was there. It really is a lovely place to dive.
Chiba is also good for nurse sharks. I didn't have a chance to do it but I will next time I visit.

There are great sites throughout Japan- depending on the season you come will dictate what sites are best. The southern islands of Okinawa tend to have the best overall diving and warm water year round. Sites around Tokyo area tend to be good in summer but still on the cooler side and very cold in winter but do offer some great diving.

April - July in Okinawa is better than Hawaii.
Same can be said for the rest of the southern Ryukyu Islands (Yonaguni, Ishigaki)

August through November has great conditions, however it is typhoon season so there's a good chance your dives would get cancelled by an incoming storm.

If you go on Okinawa Feb-March, you can find alot of charters for half off since the usuals don't like to dive in "cold" (70F) water. The marine life is still incredible and you can still see forever under the water.

From Jan-March, there's a ton of Hammerheads around Ishigaki/Yonaguni. The islands take another flight to get to, but are worth the trip.

Back
Top Bottom