Where are you putting your safety sausage when wearing your bpw?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear my smb's on shoulder D-rings. They are easily accessible, and no they are not tucked away nice and neat, My primary objective is speed of access, streamlining is a lower priority for me.

I keep a lift bag on basically a but D-Ring; actually it is a loop of heavy monofilament line on the bottom of the plate or BC. Lift bag stays out of the way there, but it is slower to access and I can't see it. I've had a few fall off, I have recently started trying a long line clip rather than a barrel clip for the lift bag. Long line clip is way more secure.

Primary 120m/400ft reel with bungeed CO2 self-inflating 2m SMB is clipped to the lower RH D-ring of my rebreather. Backup 2m SMB is attached to a 60m/200ft spool and lives in my RH drysuit pocket next to my spare mask. Yellow emergency SMB for surface attention is in my LH drysuit pocket with the spare spool

I keep mine on the right D-ring when technical diving. I'm not completely certain if DIR use a right D-ring but who really cares. Recreational: wherever it's accessible. Bungee around the SMB.

Primary on a D-Ring on the crouch strap, secondary inside the butt pouch

The reel I can clip off on a number of places and it won't hang or drag, the sausage I'm not so sure.
Drysuit, it goes in a thigh pocket. Wetsuit, it depends but most likely clipped off someplace on my butt/hip.

To get around the runaway sausage, I leave the sausage attached to a double ender bolt-snap. Presumably your sausage has a velcro strap around it, but I also have a tight loop of 5mm bungie that goes around the DSMB and the double-ender. It kinda keeps everything snugged up.

Drysuit or wetsuit pocket

I keep two on my BPW, neither one requires pockets, neither one is flopping around clipped on to a D-ring. Both stowed cleanly, and easily deployable.

1) Backplate pocket. The SMB is folded up and pushed up in this pocket. You can't feel it (it's in the depression of the plate), and then the bolt snap goes to the tail D-ring. Easy to grab, otherwise out of the way:

pouch.png

2) Tail pouch attached to bottom of backplate with rings. Bolt snap comes out of the end of the pouch and also clips to the tail D-ring.

mesh.png

Redundant SMBs, accessible, not in the way, very secure. Not dependent on a dry suit pocket, so can be used with whatever exposure suit you are using that day. Also, doesn't take up space in a pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom