Where are you putting your safety sausage when wearing your bpw?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OWPRO.jpeg

Mounted on reel, snapped to waist D ring. I prefer to send from depth, thus the reel.

Primary CO2 self-inflating blob and 100m Kent Tooling reel. Clipped on hip D-ring (actually on the rebreather).

Size matters for an SMB. Pointless having one if it can't be seen especially if the weather's blowing up some waves. 2m/6ft minimum.
KentTooling reel and CO2 SMB 2.jpg

I'm going to rig mine this weekend and I'll post a pic.

I dive with Apeks tech shorts. My primary DSMB pre-rigged on a spool is in my right pocket and my backup, also pre-rigged on a spool, is in my left pocket.

I will admit I have not been using a SS, but I want to start. I have a Transplate with 1 4lb weight pockets on each side of my waist strap. The reel I can clip off on a number of places and it won't hang or drag, the sausage I'm not so sure. Any place I clip it it seems like it will hang and flail around. What are people doing with theirs that keeps it neat and tucked away, yet accessible?

TIA
I use neoprene shorts with cargo pockets when diving wetsuits. My drysuit has cargo pockets.

The first pair of neoprene shorts I ever had were the Dive-X shorts when Andrew Georgitsis first made them. My current shorts are Highland Mills because a friend sells them. They retail for around $130.

I put my DSMB in my left pocket already rigged to a spool. I prefer removing the factory D-rings from the pockets and making bungee cord loops to which to clip things. It's much harder to clip to a D-ring than a bungee with one hand. My spare mask goes in a mask pouch in the left pocket. My GoPro goes in the left pocket as well. When cave diving, I carry two safety spools in place of the spool and DSMB for open water.

I usually put my notebook in my right pocket. That's a Halcyon at the moment. I stow a spare knife, two pencils, a survey compass, a spare necklace, a spare bolt-snap with a little #14 nylon line to loop around a hose, a tank valve tool, and a little multi-tool with pliers and screwdrivers in the notebook organizer.

I thought I'd just ditch the shorts for recreational diving when not doing tech or cave but I discovered I use the stuff in the shorts far more often when doing recreational dives. I know this went beyond just your DSMB question, but thought I'd just share some of the toys you can carry all at once nicely out of the way.

Plus one for the mesh tail pouch. Done it for years and thousands of dives and i deploy my smb a lot. I stack 2 pouches, one opening right and one left. The right hand one leads to a 50m reel clipped low on the shoulder strap, and is the everyday orange sausage. The left hand one is a yellow lift bag and is for signalling emergencies, loss of buoyancy, or redundancy. I carry a large finger spool in a pocket to be used with the lift bag is necessary. This system is streamlined, accessable, and has never failed me.

Plus one for the mesh tail pouch. Done it for years and thousands of dives and i deploy my smb a lot. I stack 2 pouches, one opening right and one left. The right hand one leads to a 50m reel clipped low on the shoulder strap, and is the everyday orange sausage. The left hand one is a yellow lift bag and is for signalling emergencies, loss of buoyancy, or redundancy. I carry a large finger spool in a pocket to be used with the lift bag is necessary. This system is streamlined, accessable, and has never failed me.

Yup. Really between this and the plate pocket, it's such a better solution that the only reason that I can see for not using something like this is if you don't dive a BP/W.

Any SMB big enough to be useful is going to be big and dangly when clipped off, or filling up your whole pocket if stowed that way. Plus, if you carry it clipped off, you have to be very sure that it's tightly strapped or it can come loose and unfurl at depth (have seen that happen many times). The BP/W gives you two great places to securely stow an SMB or two where they are easily deployable.

I guess the only thing is that some people like to pre-rig their reel to their SMB. I don't like that, I find that keeping the reel separate and just attaching it to the SMB isn't hard. But if you want to do that, then I guess these solutions wouldn't work as well.

The left hand one is a yellow lift bag and is for signalling emergencies, loss of buoyancy, or redundancy. I carry a large finger spool in a pocket to be used with the lift bag is necessary.
20210614_075714.jpg

Lift bag [yellow] on plate, safety sausage in left pocket with 2 spools .
I am going to go your method of a 'tail pouch' for the bag, I do have one somewhere.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom