Question Where are you viewing the 2023 & 2024 Solar Eclipses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I work in downtown Dallas - the city has so many events and "viewing parties" planned that we just closed our office for the day. Traffic is going to be a sh*tshow. Work from home for everyone.
I keep hearing of companies and schools on the path scheduling it as a Snow Day. Increased numbers of car wrecks and deaths are expected.

I called my hotel today to confirm. Good thing I did. The property recently sold, they are overbooked so canceling others, but they are keeping reservations for those who call to confirm. It certainly seems like Murphy's Law is in play here.

I'll be at Socorro for the April 8th eclipse....anyone else headed there?

I'm going to Indiana and plan to drive to Franklin Indiana where they are having an eclipse festival and are in the path of totality. I'm excited.!

It appears that the municipal buildings are closing here at noon. I will therefore be sitting on my patio/porch. My location is on the direct path of totality.... If we actually have a sunny day, it could be a bonus. There was a 20-year look back at weather conditions for the date, and there never was a full sun day observed, and only 17% were mostly sunny.... That is 83% chance of cloudy, and little to see.

I'm predicting a bust for this area....

It appears that the municipal buildings are closing here at noon. I will therefore be sitting on my patio/porch. My location is on the direct path of totality.... If we actually have a sunny day, it could be a bonus. There was a 20-year look back at weather conditions for the date, and there never was a full sun day observed, and only 17% were mostly sunny.... That is 83% chance of cloudy, and little to see.

Well, we wanted Mom to see her grandson's school while she still can, so won't be a total loss.

ETA: The whole point is it won't be a full-sun day ... :rofl3:

Even if it is cloudy it will be pitch black in the middle of the day which is kind of amazing.

I remember the one in the early 90's that was in the summer. It got freaking cold!
We viewed the August 2017 Total E in Idaho on the way to the airport, and I think we had about 2 minutes of Totality. We're promised over 4 minutes for this one in April and I expect that with cooler overall temps and longer darkness that it will get chilly. I have Eclipse T-shirts for all 7 in my party but we'll need to keep our jackets handy.

My first one that I remember was in May 1994. Solar Eclipses in North America – 1990–1999 I organized a camping trip in White City near Carlsbad Caverns as I thought the skies were more likely going to be clear in the desert, several friends met me there with our solar viewers, and on E-day, the clouds ruined it there while back home we missed that clear view. I guess that killed my interest for a while.
It's funny how irritated I can get over apostrophe misuse. My high school English teacher for all four years was pathetic, but my one year of Journalism with a different teacher really made some strong impressions. Her husband married my parents when he was a Baptist minister for a few years, and they brought their horses to our big ranch once to help look for a bull that got left behind. The bull was pissed about being left alone and that day went wild, but we got him penned and loaded for transport. My mind does wander... :cowboy:

Same-same...will be either watching from my home here in Jamestown, NY...or one of the veterans groups I participate with will be gathering about 4 or 5 blocks down the road where there will be food and bev and about 50+ people to hang out with....either way I will be comfortably seated in a beach chair, facing the sky, sipping a good bourbon poured neat...at least thats the plan.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom