Where can you dive AND surf?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the recommendations so far. Mozambique would be interesting. And I speak Portuguese.

But so far the Maldives is winning. :)

Tobago ( see http://caribbeanoutdoorlife.com/pages/tobago surfing.htm) with great snorkeling just outside the surf, or on the big reefs within a few minutes away by boat.

....Fiji..the Pipeline .... 47911489.FijiPipeline.jpg and diving is great within 100 yards of this :) Very deep water coming in to the reef about 12 miles out ( not sure of actual distance...fairly far out though, and the surfers find this to be "an ultimate surfing adventure" :) When Sandra and I went to Fiji, there was a family with about 20 surfers on the Jumbo Jet...should have seen all the surfboards in the airport :) ....starting with the Grandparents ( still surfing), a bunch of parents, and a big bunch of kids/grandkids....They were all dreaming about this Pipeline....We got close to it on the dive boat from Beqa Lagoon , and loved the reef just off of it. Vis even with the aeration from the surf, was way over 100 feet.

...Puerto Rico has Rincon for surfing.....diving was lower vis in that area than I liked at the time, but I have heard there is good diving here also.

Last edited:
Just in case, I want to clarify that it would need to be a place where the surfing and diving are both pretty close to where we'd stay. On Oahu we were able to both go off in the morning and do our thing and be back in the afternoon.

Mentawai islands Sumatra Indonesia or Rote Island Indonesia - Mentawai's more surf focused but I have dived through there too.

Fiji. I don't surf but there were some well known surf spots and diving was good as well and Fiji is Fiji, so that's all good.

Thanks. Are you talking about Palos Verdes? What are the conditions like?
Conditions are variable. In most spots you can either dive or surf but not both. A few sites, like Topaz Jetty, Haggerty's and Cabrillo Beach offer both at the same time. Surfers enjoy the south side of the Topaz jetty while divers are less than 1/4 mile north.

Barbados or the west side of Puerto Rico has both and you can do it in the same day.

Okay, these things are not traditional surfing, but they might appeal to someone who likes surfing and wants to try something vaguely related.

In Bonaire, 2 of the alternative activities to diving are kite boarding (west coast, around an area called Atlantis I believe) and wind surfing (east coast, Lac Bay, and there's a place called Jibe City beside it). You can rent gear and learn to do these things.

Again, it's not 'real' surfing. But something to think about on a fairly small island where getting around is no big deal.

Richard.

Los Angeles County . . .where you can snowboard/ski in Winter Mountain Wilderness; then turn back around to swim, surf & night dive in Kelp Forests at Mainland Beaches; and finally come home to Suburbia with a perfect Mediterranean Climate --all done within either a span of 12 hrs, or a leisurely paced Weekend. . . !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom