Where did I get wrong ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USMC Diver once bubbled...
He was refusing your primary because he was trained to use an octo. Therein lies the danger of you DIR guys infiltrating into the world of rec. This guy was trying to get to the octo and, while in panic mode, was focused on your back up octo around your neck.

Every dive instructor or DM that I have talked to says that what really happens in an OOA situation is that the OOA diver grabs the first reg that they can find, the one in your mouth.

MonkSeal, was your buddy actually out of air or just low on air when you attempted to donate your primary? I find it hard to believe that being trained on an octo would override raw human instinct to breath. It sounds like the buddy had a little bit of air left (he actually signaled that he was low on air) and the got confused when octo exchange did not happen as planned.

I don't think you did anything wrong. Your buddy was both incompetent and irresponsible.

I am a big believer in the buddy system, but in the end a buddy is only a 'safety backup'. You warned your buddy of the high air consumption, went after him when he suddenly went deep, offered air and tried to prevent an unsafe ascent. If your buddy ignores all of this help, he has only himself to blame. Between the deep descent and the "hasty"ascent you put yourself more than enough at risk.

The one thing that strikes me odd is that your buddy refused your primary regulator. Did you ever find out why? The typical expectation in an OOA situation is that they grab your primary out of your mouth.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

ihunter once bubbled...
Then again, maybe if you had told him "if you go OOA I'll give you my primary" he still would have freaked.
Unfortunatelly.

After he was finally breathing again, what did you do to settle him down/take his mind off things? (That's a sincere question from someone trying to learn from someone more experienced than I, not intended as a critique) Sounds like once he got air, he decided to just bolt and do an emergency ascent -- he had no air on the way up from 15', right?

Unfortunatelly, I did nothing to settle him down. I just didn't have enough time. As soon as I reached my octo, I lost control again.

Unfortunatelly, I did nothing to settle him down. I just didn't have enough time. As soon as I reached my octo, I lost control again.

It's unfortunate that he bolted... Well, I'd be your dive buddy anytime. It nice to hear from folks like you that obviously have their heads screwed on straight.

Ian

ScubaRon once bubbled...
The one thing that strikes me odd is that your buddy refused your primary regulator. Did you ever find out why? The typical expectation in an OOA situation is that they grab your primary out of your mouth.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

I asked him later what was wrong and he told me he forgot everything because he was focused to my octo's yellow cap.

ZenSquirrel once bubbled...
MonkSeal, was your buddy actually out of air or just low on air when you attempted to donate your primary? I find it hard to believe that being trained on an octo would override raw human instinct to breath. It sounds like the buddy had a little bit of air left (he actually signaled that he was low on air) and the got confused when octo exchange did not happen as planned.

He signaled me OOA, I didn't think anything - I just gave him regulator.

ZenSquirrel once bubbled...

Every dive instructor or DM that I have talked to says that what really happens in an OOA situation is that the OOA diver grabs the first reg that they can find, the one in your mouth.

Well, I'm an instructor and the few times over 7+ yrs. that I've had a student panic in the open water they grabbed my Octo. I've never had my primary grabbed at. But it's Nice of DIR guys to reinforce grabbing it in the rec world!

I think you handled things just fine!

You were thinking on your feet (fins) and anticipating well in advance what was going to occur. That means you kept a pretty cool head through it all.

I am not sure I would have followed him down, for the "different angle shot" at 40 m (130 ft). By following him, you probably saved his life while risking your own. No one is required to risk their own life on a sport scuba dive.

When somebody makes a drastic move like he did, it may be best to keep the person in view, then signal to the D/M, and point the D/M towards that person. It is the D/Ms job to handle it from that point. Your wife and family would have probably preferred that you stay away from the scene as well. They have a vote too.

Pre-dive, I always tell new buddies that "I donate my primary." And then we go through a quick rehersal so that the person can visualize what that will look like. The visualization reinforces the message. My backup 2nd stage on my necklance is not yellow either, it is black, like my primary.

I have had a few dives from hel| in my lifetime, and yours this time seems like par for the course. You are probably better off diving solo with a slung stage tank than with an unknown buddy. Neither option, solo or the unknown buddy, is a good one however. I myself will not dive with unknown buddies. Life is too short. No sense making it even shorter!

MonkSeal once bubbled... I asked him later what was wrong and he told me he forgot everything because he was focused to my octo's yellow cap.
You might want to change caps.

I took my OW at a shop that used AIR2s and the SSI instructor had us donate the primary reg, so it isn't just a DIR thing.

I breathe the yellow reg on my single tank rig.

He probably should have been hurt. You kept him from that, so I'd say you did great.

Isn't hind sight a wonderful thing!! lol

IMPO I think you did a good job (I'm still a guppy), but it sure is an eye opener to realize that if a 'dumb-ass' is hell bent on doing it wrong that there isn't a lot you can do to stop him/her.

Quick question (no judgement, because at this stage who wants this idiot on a short line) but if he was so fixated on your Octopus then why not give it to him? I'[m certainally not making excuses for him ....but if he's panicing already and OOA it's only going to make him dumber!! lol

Please tell me the DM suspended him from diving with your club until he did at least one check out dive??

Good try and doing the right thing!!!:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom