Where do you find your dive buddies and local diving information?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ScubaJill just sent the FB page a friend request. Sorry I can't meet you at Hyde's tomorrow.

That's great, Mark! I'm going oyster diving in late October if you're around. I'm trying to get my cold (ahem, cooler) water diving up to snuff to do some Ocean City dives in the next few weeks, too. You'll be down at Lake Phoenix next week, right?

@ScubaJill

Oyster diving definitely sounds interesting! I've got a lot of work travel in October, but let me know when / where you're going and I'll join if I can. As for next weekend, I should be at Lake Phoenix both days. PM me, or we can try using the new FB to coordinate if you want to give that a test run.

Mark

A suggestion for your FB page: use Events to get trips and meetups organized, not a separate calendar. Is it a "Group" or another type of page? We're having good luck with a closed group page in the Columbia area for local diving plus a few bigger trips. Limiting advertising by members has been helpful too. I'll PM you our group name if in case you want to join it.

There are a few scuba clubs in the DC / Baltimore area, and some have websites. Here's one. Looks like you already found the Mid-Atlantic forum on here, but it doesn't seem very active.

You might also try talking to various shops & even different people in each shop for local diver activity. Each shop seems to have a personality or culture of its own, and that attracts (or repels) various groups.

This seems to be a common theme, possibly since there's not so much to dive within a 2 hour drive of most of the area. Unless you really dig bluegills...

Lance

A suggestion for your FB page: use Events to get trips and meetups organized, not a separate calendar. Is it a "Group" or another type of page? We're having good luck with a closed group page in the Columbia area for local diving plus a few bigger trips. Limiting advertising by members has been helpful too. I'll PM you our group name if in case you want to join it.

There are a few scuba clubs in the DC / Baltimore area, and some have websites. Here's one. Looks like you already found the Mid-Atlantic forum on here, but it doesn't seem very active.

You might also try talking to various shops & even different people in each shop for local diver activity. Each shop seems to have a personality or culture of its own, and that attracts (or repels) various groups.

This seems to be a common theme, possibly since there's not so much to dive within a 2 hour drive of most of the area. Unless you really dig bluegills...

Lance

This is great! Currently it's a page (with not much on it, yet) as I think there needs to be a minimum number to make it a group. I've come across a few dive clubs in the MD area, but some of them seem to be not very active based on their webpages. And you know, when I first got certified (2.5 years ago in Jamaica), I came back to DC and did all of this legwork trying to find local diving. I remember it was either diving in the quarries (an alien concept to me) or ocean dives that had minimum requirements that I didn't have at that point. And dive shop trips to the quarries seemed to be more about training than anything else.

Anyway, I appreciate the invite to the group and I've sent over my request. :)

Those of you with Ocean City experience, I'll be there next July. What type of exposure gear should I be packing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom