Where have you experienced the strongest currents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect the strongest current I've been in was Tiputa Pass, but we didn't FEEL like it was that strong, because we weren't close to the bottom or the sides of the pass. On the other hand, I had a dive in Bunaken in Indonesia where we were in surface current in shallow water and I felt like a leaf being blown in a hurricane.

Lehua Crater off of Niihau Island, Hawaii - what a rush!

Pt. Fermin, San Pedro. California. We had to pull hard to get down the anchor rode, then hide behind rocks on the bottom to keep from being swept away.

as a drift dive...
Palau, Blue Corner. The current was so fast that it almost ripped your mask off your face, and it was so strong the sharks even left! We hooked in using our reef hooks and our cheeks were flapping, I have it on video. :shocked2:
and
Paseo de Cedral in Cozumel, several years ago.. all we did the whole dive was dodge coral heads and try not to get hurt. It was blasting! The whole dive was a blur.

as a moored dive...
having to get back to the boat... San Clemente Island, California last year. Current was ripping so bad I had to grab the kelp and hold on, finally ended up using it to pull myself back to anchor line. I was flapping like a flag!
and
one dive at Medio Reef, Bahamas on the Nekton. Current was so strong that it was impossible to do a safety stop. We all held onto the mooring line as long as we could then let go and hoped to catch the hangbar as we blew down under the boat! Wild ride! Current wasn't that strong down next to reef, but once you got up at 15' level, holy guacamole!

When the tide is changing between islands, or a mainland and an island that are close together.

Outgoing tide near openings to bays and rivers.

Tiputa pass on Rangiroa French Polynesia.

Ditto.

Also a "rock 'n roll" dive in the Inside Passage of British Columbia....don't recall the site name......

Oconee Nuclear Power Station in Upstate South Carolina. The out flow from cooling the towers. you swim threw a concrete tunnel above them and then "jump" in and swim like hell for the bottom. not done right and you'll be tumblin head over fins.

Last edited:
South Ari Atoll, Maldives. By a large measure. Everything since seems positively pedestrian.

Last edited:
The strongest currents I've experienced were:
1. Boca Grande Pass; Charlotte Harbor, Florida
2. Grand Canyon, Grenada
3. The Bibb; Key Largo, Florida (lost my swim suit on the one)

These were stronger than anything I've experienced in areas known for currents (Cozumel, Florida's east coast...)

On a side note - is there any easy way or indicators to measure strength of current?

Rips mask off - 7
e.g. nearly but not ripping mask off = 6
Requires hard finning to remain stationery = 4
Could happily sleep here = 0

Just interested as discussion of current seems pretty subjective.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom