Where is a good place to stow a snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey

Omniheurist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I like having a snorkel with me, but I don't like it hanging off my mask, since I only rarely actually need it.

It's rigid, so it doesn't fit in a BC pocket, and I can't seem to find a good place (or method) of attaching it on the outside so that it's not in the way.

Anybody have any ideas?

Terry

bug:

I have one of those Sherwood folding snorkels. It's a piece of garbage. The collapsible tube has ridges on the inside when extended, and that makes it really tough to clear. The inside tube needs to be smooth for it to clear efficiently.

Personally, I prefer to store the snorkel on the boat and fish it out when needed to check conditions before everybody bothers to gear up.

Wrongkey,

I am with you on that. I don't own a folding snorkle. I did see a ScubaPro folding snorkel that was smooth inside.

But like I said I have never used or owned one. I typically keep mine on the boat and decide before I get in if I need it.

Best place to stow it - in the gear bag :wink:

If you want to take one diving with you, get one of the foldable snorkels - i have one by Tusa, you can pretty much crush it down to about a fist size and put it in a pocket if you want. As for a rigid snorkel, can you attach it to the inside of your leg (ala the old knife mount) or to your BP/BC out of the way - such as just behind your arm or right crammed in by the tank?

Uncle Pug:
How about nailed to the wall in the garage?

That would probably make it a little more inaccessible than I 'd like. :cool:

The Tusa sounds interesting, I'll have to take a look at it.

Terry

Web Monkey:
The Tusa sounds interesting, I'll have to take a look at it.
This is the Tusa i bought, although it was $20 when i got it. I have only used it on a few snorkeling trips though.... But i cant tell you it crushes up and reshapes really well. :wink:

I think the best place to store a snorkel is in the trash bin. But because of Padi standards I must wear one whilst I teach so I use the folding sherwood mentioned earlier in the post. It works fine for what it is. After all we are all divers here and not snorkelers. When not teaching I keep it in my BCD pocket for such instances as I surface far from the boat or if there is a big surge on the surface. After all we are all safe divers and should surface with enough air in our tanks that if we really needed to use a snorkel we could just as easily use our regulator and remaining air until the boat comes to get us, or we make our way to shore, or whatever our case may be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom