Where is the cheapest and fast place to get Certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wanted to come back to this thread and apologize to the OP and to the rest of ScubaBoard. I came off a little too strong in my previous post. That being said the sentiment, not the tone, was right and I do stand by that. Now onto my current comments.

I managed to get semi-private instruction for a song ($350, THANK YOU SCUBATOYS). While I wouldn't quite expect that for yourself, especially given the time of year, I think you'll find that there are instructors out there who do NOT do this for the money and would love to have a student who is really wanting a more challenging course. I even managed to find an instructor who I took my AOW and Nitrox through who literally loses money every time he gives a class. That certainly wasn't my intention and he is the first instructor I have ever tipped. But in his own words, "I have a good job and make plenty of money, what I'm out here this weekend has nothing to do with money". I think you'll find instructors out in you area who feel the same way but don't expect a private quite in the price range I managed.

My advice is to find the best instruction you can afford and just be certain that you trust this instruction will keep you safe. After you have your C-card the best advice I could give is to keep diving. I also suggest you seek out experienced dive buddies after you get certified to dive with. This isn't so much of a safety thing as it is a learning experience. I personally learned a lot from diving with more experienced buddies. I also think you'll find plenty of experienced dive buddies who are more than willing to dive with newer divers so do not be afraid to ask. While I am by no means experienced, and don't think for a second you are with <50 or even 100 dives, I have dove with newer divers who told me they learned a great deal from me. It is all relative. So get certified, dive safe, and most of all have fun doing it.

SoCalAngel:
Agreed, sooo how much did you pay? You also need to remember that this is what the shop gets...not all goes to the instructor. A few years back, Sport Chalet had the highest instructor pay in the OC area, at $125/ student/class. So if an Instructor has 8 students in a class, he/she will make $1000. 6 hours in class, approx. 6 hours in a pool, and one or two days doing ow dives.

Personnally, I learned in Thailand and paid about $400 for both OW and AOW. It sooooo rocked!

looking back, not nearly enough that is for sure! I am going to try and find an instructor that works freelance for my advanced ratings and beyond!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom