Where to attach a snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre:
Karl, you are welcome to cite whatever references you wish to... providing you actually cite the references. It just so happens that one of the incidents I'm referring to has a article written regarding it; which happens to be available online [and in a recent issue of Divers Ocean Planet]. You may note "This was complicated a bit by the fact that since we relinquished our deco bottles, we had no regulator to breath from, as our backgas was a hypoxic 9-10% oxygen." But those involved made no mention of wishing they had snorkels; and went I asked one of the participants this morning just to make sure; their comment was exactly as I stated; bouyancy was necessary, snorkels were not.

Personally I'm more apt to believe the trained divers returning from a 400 ft dive then your naui instructor magazine.

But.. read for yourself and decide. My over-riding feeling wasn't "I should add a snorkel", it was "I'm happy I have an HID light"

http://www.uwex.us/DOPUSSVA.pdf

Jeff you are one of the best divers that I know of, so I would never pretend to tell you what to do. You probably know more than most divers on Scubaboard.

Whether a group of divers on a technical dive with a technical boat each has a snorkel with them or not is not a major issue, in my opinion.

A more significant issue is whether each of the technical divers on the dive has been properly trained to isolate first in the case of a catastrophic gas failure. To teach or drill otherwise is a fallacy. But we have all discussed that issue at great length on your excellent technical board.

For nontechnical dives, I believe all the safety gear is warranted, including a snorkel of some kind, somewhere on the diver. And I believe that is my answer to the original post #1. Folding snorkels, etc., those are all valid resolutions.

Can't stop myself...

Let me follow your logic... you dive with a long hose on a recreational dive, you put a snorkel on your mask, you have to donate the long hose to an OOA buddy and doing so knock your mask off and it tumbles down into the abyss, then you calmly reach into your pocket and pull out the spare mask?

What kind of twisted thinking did this arise from?

Snorkel = NO

R

IndigoBlue:
Whether a group of divers on a technical dive with a technical boat each has a snorkel with them or not is not a major issue, in my opinion.

Then why did you bring it up?

IndigoBlue:
Anyone can get washed away in a current, and lost at sea. No matter how good a diver they are. Imagine an underwater seamount, a very good group of technically trained divers, and a dive way offshore. One good blast from a current, with some fog, can easily combine to result in an extended SAR at sea.

Where'd my TDS sig go?

Oh.. here it is:

"Don't hold strong opinions on things you know nothing about"

IndigoBlue:
For nontechnical dives, I believe all the safety gear is warranted, including a snorkel of some kind, somewhere on the diver. And I believe that is my answer to the original post #1. Folding snorkels, etc., those are all valid resolutions.

So, you think non-technical dives require more safety gear than technical dives, and that the snorkle is it. Right?

biscuit7:
Let me follow your logic... you dive with a long hose on a recreational dive, you put a snorkel on your mask, you have to donate the long hose to an OOA buddy and doing so knock your mask off and it tumbles down into the abyss, then you calmly reach into your pocket and pull out the spare mask?
You haven't been keeping up. His whole premise is based on his belief that you don't need a long hose for recreational dives. While he's free to hold that opinion, espousing it the way he did here in the DIR forum amounts to little more then trolling.

I guess I forgot about the part where DIR is for technical dives only.

Darn, now I'm gonna have to go buy a stab jacket for the reef and reconfigure all my regs... darn, darn, darn...

R

biscuit7:
I guess I forgot about the part where DIR is for technical dives only.

Darn, now I'm gonna have to go buy a stab jacket for the reef and reconfigure all my regs... darn, darn, darn...
That's a good boat monkey... now go and fetch me some coffee! :wink:

MechDiver:
So, you think non-technical dives require more safety gear than technical dives, and that the snorkle is it. Right?

I believe the technical divers on a techical boat get more attention from the boat crew. Therefore if they want to leave their snorkel on the boat, it is probably not a major issue. It could become one, but probably not.

The misapplication of cave diving protocols to non-technical diving is the fallacy of GUE that I object to, for safety reasons. You train your d.i.r.f.s. to ignor long-established safety rules, such as having a snorkel with them at all times, and you thus do them a disservice. Thats what I object to. This gets debated on and on and on. We are not going to resolve this here.

My answer to Post #1 is for the smart fellow to have his snorkel with him, at all times. A folding snorkel can be put into a cargo pocket. A non-folding one can be attached to numerous places.

IndigoBlue:
I believe the technical divers on a techical boat get more attention from the boat crew. Therefore if they want to leave their snorkel on the boat, it is probably not a major issue. It could become one, but probably not.

The misapplication of cave diving protocols to non-technical diving is the fallacy of GUE that I object to, for safety reasons. You train your d.i.r.f.s. to ignor long-established safety rules, such as having a snorkel with them at all times, and you thus do them a disservice. Thats what I object to.

I am neither a cave diver, DirF person, nor GUE. And I think snorkles are unnecessary once a diver realizes they don't need them.

You are argueing for the sake of arguement, and doing it in the wrong forum besides.

IndigoBlue:
such as having a snorkel with them at all times, and you thus do them a disservice.

My answer to Post #1 is for the smart fellow to have his snorkel with him, at all times. A folding snorkel can be put into a cargo pocket. A non-folding one can be attached to numerous places.

Cause you never know when one requires a large drinking straw :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom