Where to attach a snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kalvyn:
...If you want to use a snorkle, that's cool. Telling others they must use a snorkle isn't ...
Jimmie

Ok lets be cool about this then.

You MUST pay taxes and eventually die.

It would be very SMART to have safety gear with you on ever scuba dive. The minimum safety gear in almost every circumstance:

Knife (2 is better)
Safety sausage
Noise device
Signalling mirror
Snorkel (except on a technical dive with a technical boat)

Where you wear the snorkel is totally up to you, if you want to be smart.

Is that cooler, for you?

Spectre:
say WHAT? Blue... How many people do you know that have found themselves lost at sea? How many times have you heard that shipwreck victims would have survived if they had a snorkel? Bouyancy; yes... snorkel? Give me a break!

I know a few people that have been lost at sea for at least a couple hours. Some in 12 foot seas. I'll ask them; but I don't think they felt they were in need of a snorkel. An eprb and a boat yes; a snorkel... I don't think so.

You can find the answer to your own question without troubling anyone else by taking a look at some of the previous NAUI instructor magazines. This issue comes up at least yearly. The last issue to discuss it give you an exact example of what you are looking for.

I would fax you the article myself, but you dont want to know the truth, you just want to argue. So have fun, keep on arguing.

IndigoBlue:
Mr. Drew, you cannot control the boat's D/M now, can you? What if he is having a really bad day, and it affects his counting?
You just don't get it do you?

IndigoBlue:
Drew you yourself just dont get it do you??

GUE teaches principles that contain fallacies. Get it.

The DIR forum is for discussing the ins and outs of DIR not arueing whether or not we like DIR.

If you disagree with the system then this isn't the forum for you.

The DIR answer is...no snorkel.

IndigoBlue:
Drew you yourself just dont get it do you??

GUE teaches principles that contain fallacies. Get it.
Like diving off a boat whose crew is so incompetent they leave divers behind?

IndigoBlue:
You can find the answer to your own question without troubling anyone else by taking a look at some of the previous NAUI instructor magazines. This issue comes up at least yearly. The last issue to discuss it give you an exact example of what you are looking for.

I would fax you the article myself, but you dont want to know the truth, you just want to argue. So have fun, keep on arguing.

Karl, you are welcome to cite whatever references you wish to... providing you actually cite the references. It just so happens that one of the incidents I'm referring to has a article written regarding it; which happens to be available online [and in a recent issue of Divers Ocean Planet]. You may note "This was complicated a bit by the fact that since we relinquished our deco bottles, we had no regulator to breath from, as our backgas was a hypoxic 9-10% oxygen." But those involved made no mention of wishing they had snorkels; and went I asked one of the participants this morning just to make sure; their comment was exactly as I stated; bouyancy was necessary, snorkels were not.

Personally I'm more apt to believe the trained divers returning from a 400 ft dive then your naui instructor magazine.

But.. read for yourself and decide. My over-riding feeling wasn't "I should add a snorkel", it was "I'm happy I have an HID light"

http://www.uwex.us/DOPUSSVA.pdf

cornfed:
Like diving off a boat whose crew is so incompetent they leave divers behind?

Anyone can get washed away in a current, and lost at sea. No matter how good a diver they are. Imagine an underwater seamount, a very good group of technically trained divers, and a dive way offshore. One good blast from a current, with some fog, can easily combine to result in an extended SAR at sea.

Boats can also sink, you just never know.

I do not believe the D/M in SoCal who lost DriftingDiverDan was incompetent. I suspect he was just having a bad day. He probably blames the assigned buddies for not reporting Dan missing. That does not excuse him, but that is probably how he sees it.

ROFLMAO!!

IndigoBlue:
You must not have dived very many serious seamounts. Or you would not be laughing.
Did you even read Spectre's post? This has been fun but I gotta run, after while crocodile...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom