Where to attach a snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey:
You would be very happy to have a snorkle (especially a dry snorkle) on the surface in heavy seas, waiting to be picked up.

Terry

I manage just fine in those seas, suit inflated, BC inflated just bobbing around waiting for the boat.

At no point have i thought "I wish i had the 2" more clearance a snorkel would allow my head".

ditto, though the most i've been in is 6 feet seas or just a tad higher...

String:
I manage just fine in those seas, suit inflated, BC inflated just bobbing around waiting for the boat.

At no point have i thought "I wish i had the 2" more clearance a snorkel would allow my head".

I prefer to hang just below the surface and use my reg when I have a choice.

I agree though that while floating on your back your mouth and nose can be just as high out of the water as the end of a snorkel when you're face down.

Maybe it's just a personal preference, but I don't like salt water in my mouth.

I've got a dry snorkle that works really well for that, but it annoys the crap out of me hanging on my mask strap.

Terry

String:

Assuming a "dry snorkel" is one of the self-venting ones with slats on the top to stop water pouring in ive got one which i use (not surprisingly) for snorkelling.

I dont like salt water in my mouth so therefore i dont drink it. A snorkel in any type of sea condition certainly doesnt decrease my changes of swallowing it.

MikeFerrara:
I prefer to hang just below the surface and use my reg when I have a choice.

Yes, but (arguendo): Assume you need to hang at the surface: you need to look up pretty frequently to look for search planes and passing craft. Also, you've only got, what, even if you somehow surfaced with full doubles, maybe 300 minutes of breathing gas?

MikeFerrara:
I agree though that while floating on your back your mouth and nose can be just as high out of the water as the end of a snorkel when you're face down.

Yes, but: are your mouth and nose
  • as good as,
  • better, or
  • worse
than a good snorkel at coping with the occasional over the top wave and constant rain or blowing spray? String seems to say "snorkel is no better".

lairdb:
Does anyone have experiential or experimental data, in, let's say, >3 foot rolling seas or breakers of any height, with back-inflation or wings:
I do. Quite a lot in fact, using Oceanic jacket BC's and my trusty 'ol X-Tek. Both the jacket and back inflate will "prefer" to roll ya' on your belly, in ANY sea state. I've practiced it with my students as well. I've also observed this with another diver in a confined water canal wearing a TransPac II.
In 3-5 foot seas, if you're floating on your back, you're almost certainly pointing into the waves, in order to maintain position and tendency to roll. Floating on your belly, you're not required to DO anything 'cept breathe. You cannot maintain position very well, however, nor see what's going on at the surface. The face down is only practical when a diver is adrift at sea and/or exhausted.

Same question, experiential or experimental data (not guess-ology) WRT keeping a snorkel clear under same conditions?
With "basic" snorkels most anti-snorkel and techies carry, there's a problem with overwash getting down the tube in moderate chop. This is a perfectly valid complaint. With semi-dry and dry snorkels, this problem is greatly to totally alleviated. If you're wearing a big honking Oceanmaster 2000-series (like me), it's virtually impossible to drown so long as the back/top of your head broaches the surface occasionally. You could probably survive a freaking hurricane with one of these things on... there's an idea!

This has some type of (valve/float/whatever) in it. I've never had a drop of anything get into my mouth while using it.

String:
I dont like salt water in my mouth so therefore i dont drink it. A snorkel in any type of sea condition certainly doesnt decrease my changes of swallowing it.

roakey:
A perfect example of the sloppy thinking that surrounds recreational diving today. Why is it OK for recreational diver to NOT end up at the ascent line, or if they don't, to NOT have enough gas to breathe at the surface for the swim back?...

The question is here in the DIR forum. I'm giving the DIR answer, and now of a more DIR explanation.

Roak, you can configure yourself as d.i.r. as much as you want, for a non-tech dive, and your buddy too. But if the boat leaves you behind, your d.i.r. catechism is not going to help you when you do not have a snorkel with you and you need one, during your extended stay on the surface.

This is a d.i.r. forum, and the assumption appears to be that you do not ever need a snorkel when you have your d.i.r. gear on. But that is simply a fallacy.

Think outside the box.

IndigoBlue:
But if the boat leaves you behind, your d.i.r. catechism is not going to help you when you do not have a snorkel with you and you need one, during your extended stay on the surface.

say WHAT? Blue... How many people do you know that have found themselves lost at sea? How many times have you heard that shipwreck victims would have survived if they had a snorkel? Bouyancy; yes... snorkel? Give me a break!

I know a few people that have been lost at sea for at least a couple hours. Some in 12 foot seas. I'll ask them; but I don't think they felt they were in need of a snorkel. An eprb and a boat yes; a snorkel... I don't think so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom