Where to attach a snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarcHall:
jmlavoie

How do you believe the snorkel enhances your safety on the surface ?

This is a "Just in case" item. It’s like the lift bag, the intention is to go back to the ascent line, even in case of trouble, but just in case I will have it with me. I’ll see, maybe I’ll never use it again.

There are some cases where more technical diver will really not need it, you have your team at the surface that won't leave you there, I would not dive with long deco with a charter that I don't have total confidence on. Even if you have to share your air you will get to the ascent line, and have some spare air from your stage. For theses dives, a snorkel is useless and probably not DIR.

I'm talking about some less technical dive, with shorter decompression, or dives where you should swim back to the shore after the dive. At some point, it may be a personal preferences.

Maybe the solution is to have some kind of guideline like for the reserve mask at GUE ( http://www.gue.com/equipment/mask.shtml#reserve ) . Sometime snorkel take up some space and you better not bring it, while sometime it may be a good idea to have one. There is probably no black or white answer on that.

One thing is clear now, if you carry one, a compact one is the way to go and of course it goes stored right in the pocket during the dive. And, thanks to Wendy, everybody should have some pocket now to put it in.

I was not expecting a so big debate on that question!

Thanks all.

IndigoBlue:
But if the boat leaves you behind, your d.i.r. catechism is not going to help you when you do not have a snorkel with you and you need one, during your extended stay on the surface.
Getting left by the boat isn't very DIR, now is it? :wink:

IndigoBlue:
This is a d.i.r. forum, and the assumption appears to be that you do not ever need a snorkel when you have your d.i.r. gear on. But that is simply a fallacy.
I just don't understand the gotta have a snorkle thing. I've never used one beyond my first OW certification dive. That was before I ever even heard of DIR or GUE. I float on my back when surface swimming and have never had a problem swallowing salt water, even in pretty rough seas. The trick is to inhale in the troughs of the waves and exhale in between, something I learned from a white water rafting guide.

If you want to use a snorkle, that's cool. Telling others they must use a snorkle isn't (unless it's required by law). I have a snorkle that's been used four times. I take in on warm water dive trips with me, in case I want to snorkle. I usually don't want to snorkle. :wink:

Jimmie

but next time you're left behind by your boat and are stuck in the middle of the ocean in a hurricane, you will WISH you had that little plastic tube sticking out of your mouth.. you just wait

H2Andy:
but next time you're left behind by your boat and are stuck in the middle of the ocean in a hurricane, you will WISH you had that little plastic tube sticking out of your mouth.. you just wait
Is that why you always have yours in your avatar?

oh yes..

btw, there are so many things wrong with my avatar it isn't even funny:

1. nose is OUTSIDE the mask.. what's with that?

2. snorkel is on wrong side

3. what am i doing breathing through a snorkel underwater?

H2Andy:
Displacement clearing, duh. :)

Roak

H2Andy:
oh yes..

btw, there are so many things wrong with my avatar it isn't even funny:

1. nose is OUTSIDE the mask.. what's with that?

2. snorkel is on wrong side

Lots of people wear their snorkel on the right.

Haven't you ever watched the Steve Erwin...?

cornfed:
Getting left by the boat isn't very DIR, now is it? :wink:

Mr. Drew, you cannot control the boat's D/M now, can you? What if he is having a really bad day, and it affects his counting?

IndigoBlue:
Mr. Drew, you cannot control the boat's D/M now, can you? What if he is having a really bad day, and it affects his counting?

Then make him wear the snorkel!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom