Where to dive the Great Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RandomGuy1

Contributor
Reaction score
I am thinking about setting myself up for a trip to dive the great lakes for my 40th bday, about 2 1/2 years from now. Looking for suggestions as to where to go and what time of year for the best wreck diving. I would like to do mostly dives in the recreation depths, but possible 1-2 that week in the 150ft level as I plan on having advanced nitrox / deco by that time. I'm looking for some suggestions that would fit those criteria to possible start planning. I would probably be doing this by myself as I don't have solid buddy who would probably enjoy this, but with 2 1/2 years to my 40th I may have time to find someone once a more solid plan starts to shape up. Suggestions?

The Staights of Mackinaw have multiple good wrecks in the recreational depths and others that are in tech ranges. I was there in June for 3 days of diving and several of the wrecks we dove could easily been tech dives, three of our party were doing tech dives on the wrecks, decause of time on the wrecks, some are big ships and allow multiple decks of penetration. The Cederville, Eber Ward, Sandusky, William Barnum, Martin Stalker, William Young, Maitland and the Minneapolis are the major recreational depth wrecks there, with the Eber Ward and the Cedarville being the favorites of many divers.

Milwaukee also offers some good wreck diving on several wrecks. Some are in recreational depths but can become tech dives due to penetrations and/or bottom time for exploration. The Prinze Willam, No. 6 Dredge and the Car Ferry are the major wrecks there, the Tug Gillen is also a fun dive. The "Willie" and the Car Ferry are probably favorite wreck dives there.

Sanilac which is in lower Lake Huron offers intermediate to advanced shipwrecks with the deepest being 117'. Alpena/ Thunder Bay offers a wide selection of many types of wrecks varying from shoreline to 300ft and about 85 known wrecks.

For boat diving you will have to decide whether you want a tech trip or not since the charters will typically do either one or the other. I would consider Isle Royale. Several operators serve the area, with both liveaboards and arrangements where you camp on shore.

Scuba Diving the Shipwrecks of Isle Royale

I was think more like 2 days of chartered tech trips and 3-4 days of rec trips. Any reason that wouldn't work?

Off Alpena, MI in Lake Huron is the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary. Lots of wrecks as TB was known as "shipwreck alley." Wrecks are at varying depths.

thunderbay.noaa.gov

I was a newspaper reporter in Alpena in the early 90s and they were still finding wrecks then. I saw video of several.

There are several charter outfits out of Alpena. The local hospital even has two hyperbaric chambers. Lake Huron isn't as popular as Lake Michigan, but it's still gorgeous. Less crowded.

Sorry, no links as I'm on my phone.

Lake Huron isn't as popular as Lake Michigan, but it's still gorgeous. Less crowded.

So much to see, so many choices in Lake Huron. Don't forget the other side, the Canadian side, out of Tobermory on the Bruce Peninsula. Maybe @Stoo will comment. Check out his pics.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

A few weeks ago we dove some exceptional wrecks in the Picton region of Lake Ontario (mouth of the St. Lawrence River - Canadian side). They were all recreational depths, and remarkable condition. My "home" waters are the eastern end of lake Erie, and there are good wrecks to be seen there. Tobermory is a great trip too.

I guess I'm saying "The Great Lakes" are too large a geographical entity to pick just one spot.....

I guess I'm saying "The Great Lakes" are too large a geographical entity to pick just one spot.....
That is why I am starting to look now. To narrow down my choices. Since I would be driving up from NC, a few hours difference in drive can put me about anywhere on the great lakes. I guess I am looking for what are the "cream of the crop" dives up there, and maybe even do 1-2 days and then move to a different city.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom