Where to get a mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm personally a big advocate of supporting your local dive shop, if you have a good one nearby. A local shop may not be able to compete with online retailers or the big chain sporting goods stores on prices, but for that extra money, you're going to get personal, knowledgable service at a good LDS.

You can get away with a bit more in a snorkeling mask, as opposed to a dive mask, because for snorkeling you're going to be at the surface frequently. You're not going to spend a prolonged time at greater depths, and if you need to fiddle with it, it's easier to do in the air rather than fifty or a hundred feet underwater.

Still, you're going to want a mask that is comfortable on your face, and that is often very hard to tell just from looking at a picture in the online catalogue. As others have suggested, visit your local dive shop. They're going to have a far better selection of real dive equipment than any big chain store such as Dick's is going to have.

I buy most of my soft gear from Leisure Pro..........

Easy to return if needed, great selection and unbeatable prices........

As others have said, mask fit is key, so if you can borrow one from a buddy for a dive to check it out then go on-line to buy............

M

I buy most of the dive gear for both my wife and I online. However, I think that buying a mask is a lot like buying ski boots. You need to spend the time trying on a number of them in a dive shop that has a large selection to choose from. Much of the advertising hype about low volume, etc. really is just hype. A good fit is the key, and a more expensive mask does not necessarily equate with a better performing mask.

Back
Top Bottom