Where to get spearfishing info/forums

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Beginning hunters are usually better off with a nylon or kevlar line until they learn to STAY OUT OF THE ARC. Getting tied up with cable can be fatal. It's possible to cut your way out of the others.

2. Throating the fish (cutting it's throat just aft of where the gill attaches to the body) bleeds it out promply, makes for better meat, and provides an almost instant attitude adjustment.

3. On AJs the "magic spot" is where the darker bar behind the eye crosses the line formed with the lateral line entry to the skull on the aft end and the eye on the bow. A shaft crossing that line at the centerline of the fish makes for a dead AJ, and a much less intense fight. Throat even "dead" fish to properly bleed them, and to discourage them from suddenly "waking up" and re-arranging your dive gear.

4. Manny, which shop did that to you? That way I'll be sure to avoid them. A "No gun" boat operator has to be independantly wealthy and obviously doesn't need any business from me or my friends. I pay for a taxi ride, not enforced lessons in "PC diving."

5. JustAddWater, check out this site for videos:
http://www.fishkillaproductions.com/
He has several on line.

6. Taste is much lighter than mackeral or tuna. Firm white meat with a rather heavy grain. Baked in lime juice and lightly seasoned it's very good. Lightly fried in Zatarain's Cajun fish fry it's close to heaven. As with all seafood be careful not to overcook it and remove all the blood lines as quickly as possible after skinning.

7. BFK is useless unless it's SHARP!

FT

FRED T:

Thanks for the tips. The SS line was on a loaner gun, so I had no choice on that. My brother and I just purchased pole spears to start the at the beginning of the fish hunting learning curve. I think I'll stick with smaller fish too like the Red Snappers.

Also, I have about 40 dives on your backplate so far, it's great. I was the Navy guy you had to mail the package out to in the Arabian Gulf.

FredT once bubbled...

For the safety of the following divers he would have been better off bringing up both the AJ and the shark. That shark now associated divers with lunch.

FT

Damn good point!

BTW Fred, any tips on how you would go about "bringing up" a decent sized shark, say in the 6' range?

Here's a nice TASTY shark recipe: http://www.angelfire.com/ca/divers3/Shark.html

any tips on how you would go about "bringing up" a decent sized shark, say in the 6' range?
Powerheads do an excellent job.

BTW; SPEARBOARD is an excellent place to rinse the DIR BS off yer feet when it gets too deep over here. :tease:

Cave Diver once bubbled...

BTW Fred, any tips on how you would go about "bringing up" a decent sized shark, say in the 6' range?

It's usually possible to intimidate a 6'footer into leaving the area. Over 10 foot things start to get interesting. When it's absolutely necessary, i.e. he obviously will not give it up the agressive attitude, firmly apply .30 M1 powerhead to skull, repeat application as necessary.

Attach closed or duckbilled lift bag to base of tail, inflate. Pick up fish down current once all divers are recovered.

Shark makes pretty good jerky.

BTW if you don't have a powerhead PM me.

As an alternative if you have a cable rig on the gun a standard shaft through the head near the gills after tying off the shaft cable to the structure works fairly well too. Apply shaft, get out of dodge. POed shark is not a good thing to share water with as they'll tend to bite anything available. Come back in 10 or 15 minutes to exhaused and bled out shark that has tied himself to the structure. Cut gills out of shark, then untangle it for the lift. (Do NOT reverse those steps!) Again apply lift bag and shoot to boat on the surface.

Be aware that "sharking" is not a sport. It's hazard elimination. Don't kill a shark that isn't a hazard, but don't "play fair" if you have to remove one. The "pointy end" of those things give them too much of an advantage to play fair.

FT

FredT
Do you carry a powerhead on all hunting dives, or just in shark reputed areas?

This morning I received pictures from my last hunting dive. I'll try to attach a photo of my nice size halibut.
JAW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom