Where to go on our Honeymoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would second Belize - relatively inexpensive and Placencia doesn't have the huge crowds (yet), but excellent diving and atmosphere. We did the Bahamas for our honeymoon last year. A week in Eleuthera and then a week in Exuma. I much prefer the out islands to get away from the masses. I really enjoyed Eleuthera and can't wait to get back.

Bonaire, In the Caribbean. One of the best places for shore diving in the world. No traffic lights, only 18.000 lovely people living on this beautiful island and over 60 dive sites.......Flamingos, feral donkeys, delicious food and you can still be alone on a white beach........

There are a number of recommendations here for places in the Caribbean & we would add Roatan & the Bay islands to that list for your consideration. We just had guests join us on their honeymoon in June, they spent a week in Roatan's West End at a great little hotel we recommended to them called Cocolobo, then a week with us on a liveaboard diving & sailing trip aboard Zeppelin, and then a week in Utila at Deep Blue Resort. They posted a short review on Scubaboard, have a look under samsitzman.

You can also find lots of other posts that I have made with info about Roatan & the Bay Islands on Scubaboard or take a look at our website Zeppelin Dive & Sail | Roatan Live Aboard Sailing & Diving Charters for info about both Roatan & what we do. If we can help with any info about Roatan or the Bay Islands feel free to email us at zeppelinsail@gmail.com, even if you're not interested in our services we would more than pleased to help in any way that we can.

All that being said, you may know this already but in case you don't you should be aware that October is the rainy season in all of the Caribbean, Central America, Mexico etc. and in fact for most of those places it is also potentially hurricane season. It's also rainy season for pretty much anywhere in the tropics in the northern hemisphere for that matter. You may find this is not the best month to be planning this trip in this area in terms of weather. There is a great website Weather for Over 4,000 Holiday Destinations around the World that provides monthly average climate data with average temperatures, rainfall, humidity levels, water temp etc. for most anywhere in the world, it's an excellent planning tool.

Good luck with your decision, you certainly have lots of choices!

Go to Belize. Turneffe Island Resort is as romantic a place as exists and is diving heaven. My wife and I dive but, unlike many divers, we value the resort comfort and food quality too. If you go to Ambergis Caye for a few days and then to Turneffe Island Resort as the base to do your Blue Hole dive (which is mandatory on your first trip to Belize) you will have the best of all worlds. The reef is spectacular (as good as Cozumel). Turneffe island resort gives you a romantic cottage, on a huge beach, and homemade food. It has an exclusive feel but not 5 star price. We tend to never go back to the same place twice because we figure that there is a lot of world out there to be explored. But TIR is on our list for an early return. Its the best diving trip we have had or expect to have.

Bonaire, In the Caribbean. One of the best places for shore diving in the world. No traffic lights, only 18.000 lovely people living on this beautiful island and over 60 dive sites.......Flamingos, feral donkeys, delicious food and you can still be alone on a white beach........
There are many areas of Bonaire where you can feel like you're on your own private island. We actually did a naked night dive on our last visit. What a different feeling!
There are some topless gathers at the more remote beaches, has a European feel to the island since its Dutch.
Tis is our favorite place to go when we need to " chill out" and distress. Maybe not the very best diving in the world but truly an enjoyable and romantic place.

How about Palau. Flight into Soul, then direct to Koror.

I second the recommendation for Anse Chastenet in St. Lucia. I would go to many of the other places for a dive trip, but for a honeymoon with diving, Anse Chastenet would be hard to beat. The scenery is spectacular, the resort is very nice and romantic, and the diving is good, but not great.

If you are really divers, then you may not want to go to St Lucia. Anse Chastanet is great above land, but gets poor diving reviews in undercurrent and from our local dive travel agent.

We have looked into it several times and were always quickly dissuaded once we investigated further.

It is now on our list of places not to go for diving.

---------- Post added September 10th, 2013 at 11:48 PM ----------

but on a positive note I second the votes for Provo in Turks & Caicos.

You could also try Bequia for something a little different. Diving was good (but only 2 tanks a day, no night dives) and there was lots to do above land. Your taxi from the airport is a small pickup with seats in the back. This becomes your assigned "driver" for the week and will take you where ever you want to go when ever you want to go (our driver was Noel) . We stayed in a small apartment (Vickies?) and our host arranged restaurant reservations for the entire week. This got us into local eatery's as opposed to the tourist restaurants. The best experience was Fernando's where we ate on a picnick table in his backyard. No menu as you picked chicken or fish when you made the reservation. And they had both kinds of wine, red & white.

Fernando's Hideaway, Bequia - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far!! I will look into Belize and Turks.

We don't want to go to a place like Bonaire or on a Liveaboard only for the fact that those are all diving all the time. We want to find a place with good food, great rooms and views and nightlife. Out of the 10-14 days we are going to go, we will probably dive 5-7 days....so basically half the days diving and the other half being served drinks on the beach.

I have enough airline miles to get me anywhere in the world, hence our thoughts on Thailand, but a really nice Caribbean island we would be open to as well.

I don't know what to do! LOL Good thing we don't get married until October 2014.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom