Where to go on our Honeymoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far!! I will look into Belize and Turks.

We don't want to go to a place like Bonaire or on a Liveaboard only for the fact that those are all diving all the time. We want to find a place with good food, great rooms and views and nightlife. Out of the 10-14 days we are going to go, we will probably dive 5-7 days....so basically half the days diving and the other half being served drinks on the beach.

I have enough airline miles to get me anywhere in the world, hence our thoughts on Thailand, but a really nice Caribbean island we would be open to as well.

I don't know what to do! LOL Good thing we don't get married until October 2014.

14 days in the Caribbean gives you the ability for 2 different islands or combining a live aboard with a separate land trip. With that many days, you might get bored if you stayed in one place the whole time.

Belize and Turks are perfect to split 14 days. Take a look at Belize live aboard diving and mainland non diving if you like interesting topside activities tours. Turks & Caicos live aboard and Provo's beautiful beaches to relax and be served.

For non live aboard Caribbean combinations:

Bonaire-Aruba
Cozumel-Playa Del Carmen
Saba-St. Maarten

we were married on tortolla, BVI, we chartered a catamaran and sailed the islands, lots of land based stuff in the evenings, diving sailing clear water about 45-60 ft most dives, all kinds of sea life.

Avatar picture is off the back of the boat.

We did a month in Fiji very inexpensively (<$10k) and did just as you suggest. Rented a villa on the beach. Dove some days, hiked some days, went exploring, checked out markets, didn't do anything at all on others. Just sort of kept our own schedule and took it as it comes.

Try going for a cold destination indeed.

14 days in the Caribbean gives you the ability for 2 different islands or combining a live aboard with a separate land trip. With that many days, you might get bored if you stayed in one place the whole time.

Belize and Turks are perfect to split 14 days. Take a look at Belize live aboard diving and mainland non diving if you like interesting topside activities tours. Turks & Caicos live aboard and Provo's beautiful beaches to relax and be served.

For non live aboard Caribbean combinations:

Bonaire-Aruba
Cozumel-Playa Del Carmen
Saba-St. Maarten

The Sundancer in Belize meets almost all of your criteria. Great food, great view, and great rooms considering where you are. Theyre a little light on the night life unless you're under water.

14 days in the Caribbean gives you the ability for 2 different islands or combining a live aboard with a separate land trip...Belize and Turks are perfect to split 14 days...

I totally agree! That's exactly what we are doing for our 2 week vacation in the fall. We are spending a week on Provo and a week on the T&C Aggressor and we can hardly wait to get started!

We usually try to spend 2 weeks on our annual vacation, last year we did a week on Grand Cayman and a week on Cayman Brac. The airfare usually works out much cheaper than taking two separate one-week trips. It also gives you time to relax and enjoy visiting another country and the local culture. And even if the weather isn't the best, you can probably find some great diving during a 2 week period!

A 2-week vacation to a place like TCI (or the Caymans) can be very expensive but we try to minimize the costs. On Provo we will be staying in a suite with a full kitchen so we can prepare some meals and save on restaurants. I am looking forward to eating out and enjoying the local cuisine, but eating out 3 meals a day can get pricey.

We also took advantage of the current Aggressor/Dancer "Fall Frenzy" special and got $1400 off on the reservation ($700 off per person). And we finally saved up enough air miles to get both our reservations completely covered, another $1400 savings!

So now we are just hoping for good health and great weather!

A whole lot of great recommendations out there. I will throw in one that hasnt been mentioned yet. Costa Rica. Diving in Costa Rica this time of year is fantastic. The bull sharks are still around at the Bat Islands, Mantas are around in the Catalinas, and there is a ton of land based activities to do as well. Its a quick direct flight to Liberia from several cities in the US. Have a look!

What about the Maldives? The diving is great, the beaches are stunning, and you can't get a better spot for being alone on a honeymoon than one of the bungalows over the water.

To the OP: I see others have recommended Belize and while I'm normally a huge proponent of that destination, October is a very risky month due to hurricane season. There are other Caribbean islands that are far less likely to be in the hurricane zone.

If flights are not a problem, look at Bali, Indonesia. Its a perfect combination of exceptional diving (look at Nusa Penida, crystal bay, toyapakah, sd, tulamben, Amed, Menjangan) and general frolicking (Kuta, Sanur, Nusa Dua etc.). I run a company that organises dive trips (around south-east asia) here in India (keeps your costs low) and can organise this for you if you want. if nothing else, you can always talk to me for some free advise :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom