Where to stay in Puerto Galera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm arriving in Manila on Wednesday night and plan on heading to Puerta Galera on Thursday. I've tried emailing a few operations, but based on recommendations i'm looking at going with El Galleon but I can't get a hold of them. Is it low enough season that I should be ok just to turn up?

I was a DM in Vietnam and got used to just rocking up and diving whats available, is Philipines any different?

I did try calling them, but either they're not answering their phone or my VOIP doesn't like their area code.

I don't mind just turning up, I like to see ops with my own eyes so I'll just do that. Sabang Inn did get back to me, but i'm not impressed with the vibe I get from them for diving.

Just walk along the beach, there are 30 or 40 dive shops & even more choices for rooms. Personally I dive with Capt'n Greggs & stay at Steps Garden (Greggs have rooms too but no pool), they're both good options

If you do want to get in touch with EG you could try calling their dive shops, Asia Divers or Tech Asia

There are all kinds of accommodation available in PG and this is still LOW season NOW.
If you are taking public transport or Si-Kat, I will not be at all surprised that you will be approached by tout ie. ladies with pictures of the resorts that she would like to bring you to. The service is FREE because she will receive kick-back from the resort if you are staying at that particular place.
El Galleon is about 10 mins walk along the filthy Sabang Beach and you will come across Capt. Gregg first along the way. Actually you will see the sign of Capt Gregg from quite a distance as the banca(starboard side) approaches to dock. Most of the independent cottages(very quiet) of Step Garden are on a small hill overlooking the Bay. Great view. The ONLY draw back is the slight up-hill walk. Good exercise to some.
Frontier Divers is another good one on Sabang Beach. Step Garden is just behind the building.

Thanks for the tips. 30-40 dive ops... I guess i'm lucky i'm going during the low season.

Hopefully it goes well. This is just a tester for me, try out the Philippines to see if I like it, only a 4 hours flight from where I live. Next time I plan on going a little more remote.

I was just in Atlantis last week and I loved it. the DMs were great, the room was comfortable, the food was VERY good, and the equipment and facilities were quite nice. I would highly recommend them again. I did 13 dives in 4 days and had a real blast! They really took good care of me.

Whoever you choose, don't miss out on a day trip to Verde Island. That was by far the highlight of my trip. Never seen so many fish in my life.

There are a few shots of the Atlantis facility in a video I made last week if you are interested.

Puerto Galera Scuba on Vimeo

I don't know why people keep bringing up Atlantis when the OP asked for mid-priced accommodation. The shore/wreck diving from Atlantis is the same as the dozen dive ops located within 50m either side of it, in fact if you want to get technical there are other shops closer to the Sabang Wrecks or Alma Jane sites. Nothing wrong with Atlantis at all, they will look after you, but you'll pay a premium for it. If that's what you want, go for it

Yeah, premium is not usually my deal. I'm a DM so can look after myself... well prefer it. But have just arrived in Manila and found there's a typhoon around. I'd been working flat out to get time off that I hadn't checked the weather. Is Puerta Galera still a good option? Or are there better places near Manila considering the weather. I fly out from Manila on the 19th.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom