Where to Stay on GC? Who to dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ocean Frontiers is the best operator on East end by far. I tend to choose where I stay based on proximity to the dive shop, so for me, Compass Point is the best choice. You can always drive over to the Reef or Morritt's in the evening for drinks or a meal.

Ocean frontiers is great but unless you are diving constantly you will be bored with the nightlife. Stay in the smb area-there atre some reasonable places not on the beach but with beach access. Tons of good cheap shore dives. Turtle reef at the macabuca bar could keep you entertained and it is affordable diving. Living the dream is a good dive op in the smb area. Should be no problem renting gear. Get a rent car to get around-they are hatchbacks and can hold a lot of gear.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

we stay in westbay at the shangri la B&B which includes a free breakfast I use deep blue divers but Indigo divers is mentioned very favorably. As far as food prices go yes they are higher but there are some very reasonable places to eat that won't break the bank. We budget $100 a day for 2 adults and have only gone over that once or twice by a small amount (no fast food)

Ocean Frontiers is the operator of choice. Morritt's and the Reef are next door neighbors. Both are fine. We stay at both. Look at vrbo.com for deals. Mosquitos are only a problem when the winds shift and come out of the west. There are a number of great eateries a short drive away including Over the Edge and South Coast bar and Grill. You will need a car. Just do it...you will not regret it!

During the car rental comments nobody mentioned they drive on the left side of the road, might be important.
I have dove with Red Sail, Wall to Wall, and Dive Tech. All of them were good. Kitty Wake is good if you like wrecks, it does cost extra.

During the car rental comments nobody mentioned they drive on the left side of the road, might be important.
I have dove with Red Sail, Wall to Wall, and Dive Tech. All of them were good. Kitty Wake is good if you like wrecks, it does cost extra.

And they have intersections without signs or lights...they have "round-a-bouts", which means you need to be assertive and just hold your breath. Don't hesitate or you will get run down. I want to re-iterate... The West end is just a shadow of its' former self from 25-30 years ago. Cruise ships, sewage, boat traffic, litter, and reckless people tearing up the reef. The shipwreck might be the only reason to go North-West. The east side is healthy and there are more sites and dives than you can possibly do in 2 weeks, much less 3 days. If you want shipwrecks go to Grenada or the Florida Keys, but you won't find East end reef except for Brac.

I disagree with you OKbyme. There is still some very good wall diving on the west. Orange Canyon and Northwest point are still in pristine condition with healthy sponges and a lot of marine life. Hepp's is a great dive and the shore diving at Turtle Reef is A one as well. The roundabouts are actually very safe as long as you know and follow the rules. The vehicle already in the roundabout has the right of way. There are lots of signs posted and the car rental companies have instructions as well. Much more efficient than a stop light. No need to hold your breath or be assertive. Seems to work pretty well in most of the world.

And they have intersections without signs or lights...they have "round-a-bouts", which means you need to be assertive and just hold your breath. Don't hesitate or you will get run down. I want to re-iterate... The West end is just a shadow of its' former self from 25-30 years ago. Cruise ships, sewage, boat traffic, litter, and reckless people tearing up the reef. The shipwreck might be the only reason to go North-West. The east side is healthy and there are more sites and dives than you can possibly do in 2 weeks, much less 3 days. If you want shipwrecks go to Grenada or the Florida Keys, but you won't find East end reef except for Brac.

Where to start.

Round a Bouts are not a "hold your breath" and be assertive situation there are rules that govern them and it is very simple The person/car in the Round a Bout has the right of way just like here in the U.S..

The west side has some very good diving I have been going to Cayman since 1980 and have owned on Cayman since 2006 and I know I have never come up from a dive and complained.The North Wall is as good or better then the East End in my opinion.

The East End is more prone to have blow outs due to weather that is beyond the Dive ops control.

Cayman has 365 moored dive sites around the island which are available to all boats.I can say I have not yet dove them all.

For someone new to the Island diving anywhere will be spectacular.

Off the Wall, they go from the Lobster Pot. Tom, Kelly, and Courty are an awesome crew, we've been with them several times, and it's always a great time. Small groups, highly customer focused, fantastic personalities.

I did a 3 day dive trip to GC in May. Stayed at Compass Point and dove with OF. I have a trip report posted on this forum. If you are heading down for a short dive trip this is the place. Book with them and a car is included, accommodations right on site, short walk to the boat, they take care of everything. You also have the option of doing 2 tank am and 2 tank pm if you are really looking to get some bottom time. Your units also have kitchens so that can be a big plus and help save on costs. No night life to speak of on the east end but we found and many divers agree that after diving all day, after dinner there is usually no energy for staying out late. Depending upon arrival time and if you want to dive the first day and can't make the PM boat at OF, try heading to 7MB and go for a shore dive at Turtle Reef or Eden Rock or you probably could arrange a PM KW dive with a 7MB op and get that in before driving out to CP/OF.

Back
Top Bottom