Where was your first OW dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lake George NY luckily in the summer so fairly warm at the surface, still pretty chilly at depth. In a really poorly fitting rental suit that scooped the cold water in at the neck and passed it down my entire body and out the bottom, yikes! Since it is the only place fairly local with decent diving it is where the majority of my dives to date have been logged. However, in my own well fitting warm gear :wink: If only it would thaw........

Cold weather, visibilty was about 2 feet, this was off a jetty in some inlet, water was around 50, I had a great time! Me and the instructor stayed in the water back pedalling for awhile and practiced navigating underwater with compass. The best part was watching the college students and visitors looking at us when we got out and started changing, wide eyed, like..... "Are those dudes crazy!"

Zero:
Ok, I'll bite..... How cold was it? Remember I live a bit north of you :frosty:
yes you are. it was cold to me. i went diving in feb. as a new diver and it did seam cold. i'll tell you what, in the north, i will not argue about what is cold unless its beer. this year i went diving in alex bay . nice.32 high.

Besides OW training dives, Lake Travis, Texas hydroelectric dam. The noise of the generators freaked the **** out of me!

My first open water dive was in Lake Travis Texas, outside of Austin.

Seattle, WA
Puget Sound Alki Point Cove 2
Air temp: ~38 F, Water temp: ~50 F; Vis: ~25-30 ft

The first dive was just doing skills for our NAUI OW cert with our instructor. On the second dive he took us around the cove and we managed to run into a very large Giant Pacific Octopus out in the open moving around the bottom (rather than hiding in their dens as they normally do). It even stopped to check out some of us for a few minutes before slowly moving on along the bottom. Pretty cool for a first day of diving.

-Eric

Back
Top Bottom