Which BCD Would You Get Oceanic, SeaQuest Or Sherwood ?

Which BCD Is Better?

• Oceanic Probe With QLR

Votes: 16 15.2%
  • Genesis Phantom

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • SeaQuest Pro QD

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Sherwood Avid

Votes: 31 29.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try the Balance. I tryed the Pro QD and Balance and was blown away by the Balance. I have used it about 40 dives not including all the pool dives and still think it's the best BC on the market. It absolutely feels like I'm not even wearing a BC because of the comfort.

Try it out, IMO.

Regarding the Balance - check out the Paragon - I just bought this to go to Cozumel:

IDI Paragon- click here

Best of all, $200

Perfect for travelling - even more compact than the Balance.

Curtis:eek:ut:

curtissqd once bubbled...
Regarding the Balance - check out the Paragon - I just bought this to go to Cozumel:

IDI Paragon- click here

Best of all, $200

Perfect for travelling - even more compact than the Balance.

Curtis:eek:ut:

It looks like a fine BC, however I hope you don't dive Nitrox. I just read this in their owners manual on their web site and to be perfectly honest this would be a large hinderance on the diving I do.
It doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy and I don't mind paying the extra $ since I also like the AIR SOURCE feature that the Seaquest BC's allow.
However, even saying that, I've never tried the Paragon, so it very well might be a fantastic BC. Let us know how you liked it in the Caribbean. It looks comfortable.

See the attached .jpg

and your dry suit too! :tease:

Sounds like someone trying to da a CYB statement. At the low pressures involved (<100 psi) there is NO POSSIBLE DANGER of explosion! But it is good for a laugh!!!

NetDoc once bubbled...

Sounds like someone trying to da a CYB statement. At the low pressures involved (<100 psi) there is NO POSSIBLE DANGER of explosion! But it is good for a laugh!!!

This is true. I was a little surprised considering they're not adhering to the 40% rule and it would definitely keep a number of divers from purchasing their products after reading the warning. I still would feel uneasy about wearing their stuff though. I would (in the back of my mind) be thinking about BC deterioration using gas mixes since the manufacturer is covering his hind end by specifying "over 21%"!?!
I tend to stick to manufacturers and scuba agency recommendations since I think they know best. This just shows that the manufacturer is probably a little ignorant about scuba knowledge and/or is really worried about being litigated

IMHO

NetDoc once bubbled...

I would say that is the case - their BCDs are extremely well-made & very well-reviewed - not to mention one of 3 US Military certified.

BTW, on that note the Paragon is 1000D while the Balance is 840D so which is likely to be more durable?

Cheers,
Curtis

curtissqd once bubbled...

I would say that is the case - their BCDs are extremely well-made & very well-reviewed - not to mention one of 3 US Military certified.

BTW, on that note the Paragon is 1000D while the Balance is 840D so which is likely to be more durable?

Cheers,
Curtis

No offense...but it's the one that is taken care of better by the owner. Again, this is a matter of personal choice. Also, I can get Seaquest serviced in a number of places locally. Unfortunately, IDI is not.
I'm sure it's a fine BCD, but just like quoting stainless steel content for knives, it really doesn't matter unless they taken care of by the user.
Lastly, I've seen equipment by different manufactureres on this board get complimented and criticized by different users with different experiences. Some never with problems...others with problems right away. Just check this thread about velcro...all positive about velcro, although I've read others who don't like it...oh well.
For $200, it sounds like a very reasonable price. But, IMO, after thinking about this, I would feel uncomfortable with donning on equipment from a vendor that states something silly and untrue in their equipment guide.
Lastly, as far as the military certification...more power to them. I wonder if they are aware of the statements made by IDI. I'm sure they do diving with mixed gasses. Then again, we've all heard about military contracts...so who knows and please note that I'm just speculating.
Until now, I never heard of IDI. I would be curious to see other peoples comments on them. I checked out their web site and they've been around for a while (1974)...so they don't seem to be new.
I don't know...again, I'd be curious to hear others opinions. People criticized the Balance for "pushing you forward on the surface", which I never experienced...again each diver is different.

I tend to stick to manufacturers and scuba agency recommendations since I think they know best.
when the two disagree? The latter scoffs at the idea of needing an NitrOx compatible BC, and I happen to agree with them! The statement was obviously written by some liability conscious lawyer who has no idea what s/he is talking about. If you fart in your O2 clean dry suit, do you have to re-clean it? Think about it! This is merely from the sublime to the rediculous.

NetDoc once bubbled...

when the two disagree? The latter scoffs at the idea of needing an NitrOx compatible BC, and I happen to agree with them! The statement was obviously written by some liability conscious lawyer who has no idea what s/he is talking about. If you fart in your O2 clean dry suit, do you have to re-clean it? Think about it! This is merely from the sublime to the rediculous.

When they disagree I tend to look at my training and what my common sense has to say. I don't wear a dry suit because I prefer tropical diving, but I guess it would depend if you farted a wet one.:D
The point I was trying to make is..how credible does a vendor sound by making these types of public statements?
Makes you wonder if they "understand" dive safety or diving at all.

Just my .02

They still might make an awesome BC...however I think they should reasses the public comments they make to sound more credible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom