Which BCD Would You Get Oceanic, SeaQuest Or Sherwood ?

Which BCD Is Better?

• Oceanic Probe With QLR

Votes: 16 15.2%
  • Genesis Phantom

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • SeaQuest Pro QD

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Sherwood Avid

Votes: 31 29.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is ridiculous but I know how they feel - under every rock is a lawyer just waiting to crawl out.

Just ask the dive shops about liability - they will tell you.

Still it seems a bit off the top.

Will keep you posted on what they say.

Curtis

back to the original topic - for larger guys, the XXL Avid is a lifesaver (literally). Tons of control, very easy to maintain attitude and buoyancy, and it holds over 29 lbs of integrated weights. Fits like a glove but no squeeze. I thought i'd hate not having a handle like the cheaper ones, but now, I'll never give it up. The double strap on the back never lets go, even if you put your tank on a little crooked (who, me?). And to top it all off, it's quite reasonably priced.

After alot of searching
I've decided that I will be going with a back inflate.

My two choices are ...

Oceanic Pro Tour

and Sherwood Freedom

Decisions... Decisions

:confused:

I love my Dacor Nautica AirTrim, I know a lot of people do not like the 'non standard' AirTrim, but it works great, is really easy to use and simplifies micro buoyancy control.

I love it!

At least I found it interesting. My first bcd was a Sherwood Accord. A basic wraparound style, nothing special. It served me nicely from 1998 to 2001. Then I made the switch to backplate and wings and haven't donned the Sherwood since.

What I found interesting, and perhaps some indication of the quality of the Sherwood product, came out of a discussion we had in January or February, perhaps on rec.scuba or perhaps just in a chatroom, about the airholding ability of various flotation devices.

I immediately blew up both my Sherwood and my Halcyon 27# wing. The Halcyon lost most of it's air within 24 hours. The Sherwood was still rockhard weeks later. I just now walked over to it and checked and it's still about 75% inflated. Now I have no idea what that says about Sherwood and Halcyon. I've dived the Halcyon enuf to know it holds air at least as long as I want it to, including some ocean floats awaiting pickup.

I can tell you that the Sherwood has travelled to Mexico several times, and has dived the cold Great Lakes water as well as some rather nasty quarries with nil viz and my swimming pool when I don the gear to clean the bottom occasionally. The darn thing looks as good as new, literally. Of course looks aren't as important as functionality, but the Sherwood has served me well, and without ever letting me down.

JF

I tried many many bc's....I came to the conclusion it was going to be a back inflate bc..now which bc to buy...Well again I tried many back infaltes...What I found with most was to much crap on them making them to bulky....I ended up with the SeaQuest Balance...I must say its the closest thing to a bp/w i've used...I dive with people who use the bp/w and I see the trouble they go through on SI.

Maybe some day I will upgrade to a bp/w but for now the Balance is by far the best back inflate bc I've tried...6 dives so far and no problems..Holds tank very stable and boy do you have allot of room around the chest. Its almost like you don't have the thing on. Its one you should consider...

my .02 cents

...the Pro QD and the Avid, and I like them both, for different reasons. The only thing I do not like about the QD, is I have had a weight fall out , twice. I do a lot of beach dives, so sand was most likely a factor. I found the weight both times right away, if it happens, you'll know right away what the problem is.

The Avid is cool because you can rig it with three retractors, with no modifications. CQD weights round out a great package.

I may try a Balance in the near future, or possibly a Sherwood Outback rigged for doubles.

I am still diving with a six year old Sea Quest balance. This is a back inflation with intergrated weights. This has been a work horse and other than getting faded from all the pool work it receives, it can do it all. Fits a wide variety of people sizes.

My wife has used Oceanic and later a Trans Pack. Loved the Oceanic but hated the Dive Rite. I talked her into the female version of the balance (Libre) and she loves it!

My father is a proud owner of the SeaQuest Pro.. and I am the proud owner of SeaQuest's new Raider BC. I have used them both...and I must say, I'd put my money into SeaQuest any day. The Raider set me back $1100 with the integrated AirSource and crotch strap, but it is like wearing the Cadillac of BC's. Good luck in your choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom