Which BCD Would You Get Oceanic, SeaQuest Or Sherwood ?

Which BCD Is Better?

• Oceanic Probe With QLR

Votes: 16 15.2%
  • Genesis Phantom

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • SeaQuest Pro QD

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Sherwood Avid

Votes: 31 29.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99 once bubbled...
Please explain.

I'm curious too, Chas. Unless he's referring to the long hose flopping around on the deck. 8)

JohnF

Seacur once bubbled...

I'm curious too, Chas. Unless he's referring to the long hose flopping around on the deck. 8)

JohnF

Well...since I am one of the guys Brandon dives with that wears a BP/Wing, I'll take a guess.

On one hand, Brandon, in his 7 mil wetsuit ,slips in and out of his new weight integrated BC with relative ease.

On the other hand, I'm in a drysuit with doubles and a weight belt. There simply is a bit more going on.

First of all, 110 degrees and a guy in a drysuit with a 20 oz. undergarment packing a set of doubles makes for an interesting picture. After climbing up a rock slope to get to my truck, I have to ease the tanks down on the tailgate...off with the bungied back up, undo the drysuit inflator hose, unclip the waist buckle and then slip off the crotch strap. Then, out of the harness - taking care to let the air out of the wing first - trying not to lean out too far from the tanks, while occasionally catching a wrist instrument in a shoulder strap. Of course, I have to watch out for my long hose primary so that it doesn't drag in the sand. Then, I have to carefully set my doubles back so that I don't scratch my brand new truck...it hasn't had the bed liner sprayed in it yet. (I know...that one defies logic...but it IS my new truck!) Next, off comes the weight belt as I look to my buddy to unzip my back entry suit. The neck seal is next but I have to take off my compass and my Stinger before I can get out of my wrist seals. Then I unzip the wooly and a perform a contortion act to get my shoulders out of the suit before I die of heat stroke.

I think you get the idea...it ain't easy bein' me.

Seriously, I don't think Brandon was taking a shot at the BP/Wing thing. I think that he was just pointing out the fact that unclipping a waist belt and/or shoulder harness and taking off a BC is about as quick and easy as it can get.

Maybe, next weekend, I'll wear a shorty and a single Al 80 and we can race!

SA

Go for the balance. It was by far the best fitting of every other BC on the market.

I have a Sherwood Avid and I am very happy with it. I recommend the Akona accessory kit with it; it puts retractors in all the right places. I do wish I could put the weights in after I already had the BC on, though.

But nobody can really tell you which BC is best for you. You have to try them on and see what fits well. What works for me might not be for you.

I have been totally satisfied with my Zeagle Ranger...but, the most important thing is what feels best to YOU!:)

I'm hooked. I certified in a jacket type and didn't like the squeeze. Back floatation is the way to go for me. Much better
trim, and manuverability. This thing is also tough. Add the crotch strap and I find it quite stable, especially for my large frame. By all means though try them all and go with whats good for you.

Safe diving.:)

One of these days I'm getting my
Scubapro Knighthawk.

Went diving this weekend and the only thing to
rent was Jacket style.
I had it fitting comfortably when uninflated, but boy
do you feel the squeeze when you inflate.
Sorry , but thats not for me.

My wife and I just recently retired our 80's vintage Sherwood Freedoms and bought Oceanics. There is really nothing wrong with our Sherwoods except age. They will still hold air for weeks at a time. We have used the Sherwoods a lot over the years in fresh and salt water and they always performed flawlessly.

If your looking for a BC to last a long time, our Sherwoods sure passed that test.

But we got a great deal on our new Oceanics, and they are REALLY comfortable.....

I have a 2 jacket style winged BCD's at the moment and cannot wait to get my back inflate. Every time I go diving I say to myself... "Man, I feel like a double wrapped buritto in this thing" :11: I am pretty fit but getting a deep breath when your floating is a chore. Go with the back inflate if (hopefully) you plan on diving regularly and you won't be sorry.

Just my .02

:wink:

I have a Sherwood Avid BCD and loved it. Only few simple words: comfortable and a lot of D-rings. D-rings is important for me, cuz I can attach something to my BCD as many as I wanted. Most BCD only have 1 on both side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom