Which compressor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hezi973

New
Reaction score
Hello. I am in contract to buy a 45’ catamaran with plans to ultimately go full time cruising. I am hoping to have diving equipment on board and planning to go get recertified (I got my PADI 25 years ago and never went Scooba since). Given that I am also planning my electrical system on board, I want to “lock” on a model. I already put good few hours on the matter and got even more confused. I am hoping to get recommendations from experienced member that can put me on the right path and save me grief.

I am looking for a compact electric compressor that will be a good compromise of the following (by order of importance):

• The lightest and smaller the better!
  • Reputable lasting hardware designed for the marine environment.
  • Easy on maintenance/cost of ownership; I do my own maintenance, but I hear some models require expensive filters that needs replacement ever so often.
  • Good rate of fill and security features (like auto stop at certain PSI).
  • Initial cost that makes sense.
I think I covered it all. Electric power will not be an issue for single or split phase. It’ll be great if you can throw my way models with a quick description of what makes them good.
Thank you all very much!

I am looking for a compact electric compressor that will be a good compromise of the following (by order of importance):

• The lightest and smaller the better!
  • Reputable lasting hardware designed for the marine environment.
  • Easy on maintenance/cost of ownership; I do my own maintenance, but I hear some models require expensive filters that needs replacement ever so often.
  • Good rate of fill and security features (like auto stop at certain PSI).
  • Initial cost that makes sense.

Weight and size are directly proportional to the fill rate. Please give your definition of a "good rate of fill".
All compressors require filters, they are not inexpensive but they are not egregiously expensive but you can't get away from them.

Bauer Oceanus E1Y is what you want though it's $15k give or take a few.

Yachting package isn't cheap but it adds a motor starter which you need to not murder your generator *it's like an air conditioner but way worse*.
Automatic Condensate Drains-not technically needed but if you don't have them you have to go down below every 10-15mins and manually blow the drains down, so I would strongly recommend them.
Pressure switch-stops at certain PSI
Stainless steel fittings-pretty obvious why you want that going on a boat...

It's just under 5cfm, so it's reasonably fast. It takes about 15mins to fill an AL80 from nearly empty so it's not "fast" but it's about as fast as you're going to get in something reasonably sized.
It uses the P0 filter which costs about $50 and if you're filling AL80's you'll want to change it every 35-40 tank fills which isn't "bad" but it's a smaller filter so cost per fill is a bit higher than the big ones.

I realize it takes about 30 min a cylinder. I looked at the Mantus dive compressor. Very light weight, but people complained that the fill rate is very very slow. This is why I put the fill rate as a concern. Thank you for the Automatic Condensate Drains. Now this is something I would want. As for filters, I read in one of the threads about a "quality" compressor with horrible ratio of cylinders filled vs filters change so I thought this is something to be concerned with as well.

Buy a smaller catamaran or be prepared to sit at the other end of it
listening to your compressor rattling for twice as long as needs be!

and an Oceanus

I realize it takes about 30 min a cylinder. I looked at the Mantus dive compressor. Very light weight, but people complained that the fill rate is very very slow. This is why I put the fill rate as a concern. Thank you for the Automatic Condensate Drains. Now this is something I would want. As for filters, I read in one of the threads about a "quality" compressor with horrible ratio of cylinders filled vs filters change so I thought this is something to be concerned with as well.
35-40 tanks is a pretty bad ratio IMO as that could essentially be a weekly task for you depending on how many people are diving and how often you dive. That number is also assuming taking them down to 500psi or so and you would actually do changes on pump hours but still. It's all about cost and size though, filters that are more efficient from a size:weight:capacity ratio are much larger and significantly more expensive so it's up to you if you want to upgrade the filters to a larger size, separate water traps, etc.

$5k will buy you a reasonable used pump, nothing new will even come close to touching it and anything used at that price won't have stainless fittings which would be problematic for you on a yacht... You can try to talk to someone like EP Compressors as Ed may know of something used that would work for your application but you aren't getting out of this for less than $15k new if you want a pump that meets your criteria.

Back
Top Bottom