Which instrument on which wrist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't wish to hijack but could someone quickly tell me what would be a benefit of having a plain depth gauge (other than one just happened to have it)? You know, over a bottom timer/2nd computer?

Also, I know slate is not really HOG but if you added slate into the soup (because you absolutely needed it for survey in addition to clipboard/notes etc) would the answer change? We would have to assume the slate goes to non-dominant arm, right?

Sorry...

No advantage that I can think of for the first question and I keep my slate in pockets on my drysuit.

To respond to the OP I keep computer and compass on the left arm and if I'm carrying a backup (computer) it's on the right wrist.

I have my light in/on my right hand so primary gauges go on the left for me.

I got everything in one puck on my left wrist, depth, spg, compass, time etc. If it was on my right wrist it would be useless to me.

I wear all my instruments on my left wrist.

Whatever you are most comfortable with, I wear my VR3 on my left because it is backlit and I can see it without my light. I wear my depth gauge/timer on my left because it is not lit and my light is in my left hand.

Whatever works for you is the right way to do it

My depth gauge/watch is on my right -- my compass is on my left.

If I put my computer/depth gauge and watch on my right wrist I find it easier to read during controled ascents when my left hand is busy venting/dumping gas.

What is the hog way of doing it?

Reading this thread I still do not know what the answer to this question is... Unless it is that anything that works will do.

I do like many do. Compass on left wrist, computer right, backups and notes in pockets. Never used slate just wondered about it. My light is in left hand and I use it more than the backlighting to light up the computer screen because it's just more convenient and effective than fiddling with the buttons. If I need my watch for timer (my computer does not have one), I will string it on the bungee on my computer on same arm.

Wonder if there is a difference to HOG/DIR answer to which pocket backups/notes go too. Although I do not know the HOG answer about the pockets and slates.

both watch and wrist-mounted computer on left wrist, backup computer console/compass on hose clipped to lower right side fixed bent D-ring. I prefer wearing my A. I. wireless computer on the left wrist, as that's the same side as where I've got my A. I. wireless 1st-stage transmitter mounted. (won't go into all the reasons I've chosen the left side for the transmitter). I like to use my right hand for holding a light, which makes it easier to illuminate the computer if it's on the left wrist. Also, being right-handed, the right hand tends to be the hand that sees more abrasion/impact damage (reaching into a rock/hole) so it make sense to protect the very expensive A. I. wrist computer from damage if it's on the left wrist. One word of caution though, although my Cochrans aren't particularly sensitive to it, many computers get tricked into momentary false ascent rate violations if you manipulate your left-side corrugated BC inflator hose as you raise/lower it to vent gas on ascent, as your left wrist (with the computer on it) is rapidly swinging up/down during that process...not a huge deal though.

I don't wish to hijack but could someone quickly tell me what would be a benefit of having a plain depth gauge (other than one just happened to have it)? You know, over a bottom timer/2nd computer?

A basic analogue dept gauge is great when practising ascents. Also in poor visibility when its hard to read a bottom timer without backlight its convenient to hold your light onto it and let it glow while you do an ascent.

Other topic, primary depth gauge on the right. I once accidentaly had it on the left which is pretty incovenient when doing an ascent (since the left arm is up to let air out of a drysuit/bc).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom