which is a better diving magazine???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since I've only ever had a subscription to Sport Diver and used to casually pick up Rodale's and (the late, lamented) Skin Diver at the newsstand, do yall think that Rodale's picked up SDM's characteristics when they merged? I always thought Rodale's seemed more "serious" somehow--the gear reviews seemed a lot more comprehensive--while SDM seemed way more consumer- and travel-oriented, almost fluff (I shamefully admit that I grew up ogling all those bikini-clad scuba models that used to fill SDM's pages in the '80s and early '90s. But that was before I was a diver. :wink: ). I got Sport Diver for a while, I think because of PADI's Diving Society or something...good photography, but it seems just a tad self-serving, like a magazine-length advertisement for PADI.

Which one I'd subscribe to these days is a tough call. Both Rodale's and Sport Diver are pretty decent. It's not like we have a whole lot of choices in general-audience dive magazines for the US market (things like Dive Training are kinda specialized).

What's needed is a kind of diving equivalent to Consumer Reports...albeit one with some style and a sense of humor. Anyone wanna go in with me on a new magazine? :)

cheers

Billy S.

You can get a 2 year (22 issue) subscription to Scuba Diving magazine for $9.50 on Ebay.

I got one 2 years ago and it worked out fine , no problems. I just bought another 2 year subscription.

Ed

The best mag is a Canadian one called DIVER. Check it out and you will see we have the best on the market.

Fathoms will ship anywhere in the world, including PI, heck they ship it to me in Yap....

It is far and away the single most entertaining magazine out there, great photos, lots of humour, no gear reviews, and very few adds.
You can read ALL of their back issues online at: www.fathomspub.com
Once you have read it you won't need another.

Wayward Son:
Scuba Diving is no longer owned by Rodale's.

Shows how out of touch I am. I stand corrected. Thanks.

cheers

Billy S.

I second Fathoms. It's only a quarterly though, but the level of photography and articles makes up for it.

Sirto:
You can get a 2 year (22 issue) subscription to Scuba Diving magazine for $9.50 on Ebay.

I got one 2 years ago and it worked out fine , no problems. I just bought another 2 year subscription.

Ed

I was wondering if that offer was legit or not. I guess I'll try it.

I originally decided to try them both and ended up keeping both subscriptions. If you can I'd suggest you try them both as well, or try to pick up one of each at a magazine store. Between the two, I have lots of great reading about new equipment, reviews, destinations, training and safety scenarios.

Cheers!

Thanks for the Fathoms info and link. I've had a hard time finding it and thought that it might have folded.

Great mag. Excellent content and production values.

-G

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom