Which is best diving: Key Largo or Ft. Lauderdale area for

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! Beautiful pixs, Wayward. What is the diver in the last pic doing? I assume it's a daylight dive. He's got a light, a bag, and...speargun...?

joh:
Ft Lauderdale has plenty of easily accessible reefs and wrecks that are at various depths for differing diver training levels, but the more varied and substantial reef structure is in the Keys (French Reef, Molasses Reef around Largo are two favorites with lots of structural features with fish hideouts and swimthroughs. The wrecks in the keys seem to be pretty deep while up off Ft Lauderdale you can find some wrecks in 60-70'

If I was coming down here as a tourist I would go to both areas! :14:

You are exactly right. I'll be diving Key Largo June 15 -21. Then driving to Miami to stay on South Beach and dive out of there and/or Ft. Lauderdale for the last 3 days of my trip. While I'm a huge Keys fan, that's one thing for "after diving" east coast has over the keys. The beautiful beaches for a little above water wildlife viewing.

Walter:
You shoulda been with me yesterday, Colin. I saw a 10 - 12 ft Sawfish in 88 feet of water on Crocker Reef off Tavernier.
Absolutely amazing! I have not seen sawfish while diving yet... seen a few near a dock where they were fed but man, that has GOT to be exhilarating to see while diving!!

Walter:
You shoulda been with me yesterday, Colin. I saw a 10 - 12 ft Sawfish in 88 feet of water on Crocker Reef off Tavernier.
Wow!!! Congrats!!

I hear there is someplace you should report sawfish sightings. They are SO RARE!!!

waynel:
Wow! Beautiful pixs, Wayward. What is the diver in the last pic doing? I assume it's a daylight dive. He's got a light, a bag, and...speargun...?

That's me. That's a snare for catching lobsters. Howard takes some really nice pics.

aww shucks :blush:

howarde:
Wow!!! Congrats!!

I hear there is someplace you should report sawfish sightings. They are SO RARE!!!

True. I reported it right after I got home from tthe Keys.

Walter:
True. I reported it right after I got home from tthe Keys.
That's awesome!

Hopefully someday I'll be able to report a sighting :)

The keys for reefs - fort lauderdale for wrecks.

The reefs off lauderdale are decent, but you will see VERY FEW big fish compared to the reefs in the keys... why? Because molasses, french, etc.. are all in a protected environment, whereas fort lauderdale is constantly hammered by spear fishing.

However, if you want to dive some wrecks, you won't find anything better than fort lauderdale - lots of wrecks in as shallow as 70 feet, and even more amazing ones in about 90-130 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom