which is better deal? z2 or b2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AaronA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Im picking out my reg. First setup i have ever purchased. Im having trouble between the Atomic Z2 at $319 bucks or the B2 at $559. Which would you purchase? I have never used anything but rental equipment and this would pretty much complete my setup other than picking out a wetsuit later on in the year. I will be diving in cold and tropical water but I am a beginner who is just looking to rack up some experience for the next two year.
Thanks for the thoughts,
Aaron

Im picking out my reg. First setup i have ever purchased. Im having trouble between the Atomic Z2 at $319 bucks or the B2 at $559. Which would you purchase? I have never used anything but rental equipment and this would pretty much complete my setup other than picking out a wetsuit later on in the year. I will be diving in cold and tropical water but I am a beginner who is just looking to rack up some experience for the next two year.
Thanks for the thoughts,
Aaron
The performance is the same, just different metals. I'd go with the Z2, add the Z2 octo and change to braided hoses from divegearexpress.com

There are three functional differences:

1st stage swivel turret on LP ports - I like this as it makes the hose routing easier
2nd stage swivel hose - while we have these and I find it helps some others find milflex hoses to be better.
2nd stage inlet tube zirconium vs titanium - rinse well and zirconium will be just fine.

Solution - we special ordered Z2 with with the first stage swivel turret.

I will pick Z2 over B2. Performance will be exactly the same. Personally, I don't use 2nd swivel. I prefer long hose. So 2nd swivel has no value to me. 1st stage swivel is actually not as useful as one may think for single tank because the position of the swivel is more or less hold in place by the LPI. And for 2nd stage Titanium air barrel, I think it is nice, but not necessary. Think about it, 99% of reg out there are brass. It brass has corrosion issue, most reg will have problem by now. But if cost is no a concern, the B2 nice.

BTW, For the same amount of money, I would much prefer Z2 + Z2 octo over B2 + cheap octo

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like a victory for the Z2. It would be nice to save that couple hundred for another day. I think I will end up getting one of those longer braided hoses as well. Thanks again. I hope I see you in the water!

Do not buy long (5-7') braided hoses though. They are good when they are short. But long versions are worse than regular rubber.
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like a victory for the Z2. It would be nice to save that couple hundred for another day. I think I will end up getting one of those longer braided hoses as well. Thanks again. I hope I see you in the water!

Do not buy long (5-7') braided hoses though. They are good when they are short. But long versions are worse than regular rubber.

Maybe true with Myflex, but I've had no issues with Phantom braided hoses........ YMMV.

My wife and I have B2's both with Miflex hoses. She has an Omni swivel I have a 44 inch hose that goes under my arm to a 70 degree elbow and a Seacure mouth piece. I hardly know its there and breaths beautifully. With that said, a Z2 would be just as good.

Last edited:
I will be sure to research those hoses a bit before deciding on whether to switch it. thanks everyone. Love this forum :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom