Which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Little difference in them from a cold water performance standpoint. Still, if it's cold I am diving dry which means some form of LP inflator and that means a DA with a hooka adapter, a second bottle for the LP stuff or better yet a Phoenix.

Went with the Explorer set up (DA Aquamaster).

Kudos to Bryan at VDH. He put up with my feeble attempts at internet commerce (3 attempts to register with paypal :shakehead: ). It took me so long to register that he actually sold out of the DA's and that was why I was eyeballing that pico Mistral. Prompt shipping too. He also threw in a crazy little flashlight, some extra HD zip ties for the hoses and a small watertight pelican like box.

PICT1123.jpg

I've added a 3 way adaptor I had in a drawer to the hookah port a.) because I did not like the way the LP hose came off the can initially and b.) so if I want I can add DS,BC and 2nd reg hoses down the road if I want.

PICT1125.jpg

I will probably test drive it this week.

Hi Dale,

I bought the explorer last winter and have it set up much like yours except I am still using a wing, octo and drysuit off the hookah port.

I have a plastic backplate like yours, but have been setting the reg much lower than you have shown and I still think it needs to be lower and/or switch to a thinner plate. It of course also depends on how you adjust the harness as well. I have dived it a few times off Victoria, and its been a learning experience. I think it will still take some getting used to, but its fun none the less.

Hi Dale,

I bought the explorer last winter and have it set up much like yours except I am still using a wing, octo and drysuit off the hookah port.

I have a plastic backplate like yours, but have been setting the reg much lower than you have shown and I still think it needs to be lower and/or switch to a thinner plate. It of course also depends on how you adjust the harness as well. I have dived it a few times off Victoria, and its been a learning experience. I think it will still take some getting used to, but its fun none the less.

I agree, on some BPs of that type slant in a little so you can lower the reg but that one does not look like it will allow that. For me, that reg is setting about 4 to 5 inches too high and while you can lower it down some with the straps, if you are of average height, it will be too low around the waist. I much prefer the thin plastic ones because they will allow the reg to be placed lower and maybe more importantly, they keep the tank/reg a lot closer to your back.

The extra goodies are a common thing with Bryan, you never know just what extra he is going to throw in.

Hi WW, glad to hear there's another canuck on the left coast attempting to dive this way. PM me and perhaps we can get together sometime for a dive or two. It would be great to try to create a western canadian vintage network.
I agree about the campack. I did my first dive today and couldn't lower it enough (IMO). I just posted over at the VDH forum about my experience. Basically, when horizontal I found my WOB to be hard. but easier if I turned my head sideways or went slightly heads up with little difference when head down.
Other than the WOB I got a kick out of the dive and practiced some DH skills. Kept expecting some foriegn spies to come out of the weeds and cut my hoses though... that will probably go away after awhile I'm told.
My J valve works so I dove with just a DS hose this time but will probably add the spg and horsecollar when I start deep mixed gas soloing with it :wink:

Hey Dale,

Yeah, I'm not super concerned about recreating the whole vintage experience, but I like the older regs and simplicity. If you are doing some diving in the south island send me a PM and we can see about meeting up.

My few dives on the setup are very much like yours and haven't dialed in the positioning yet. I am going to try a soft backplate to see if it makes a difference in placing the reg closer to my back. Also, still getting used to keeping the mouthpeice in while swimming on the surface.

If you guys want a BP that will do both and travel great as well, look into a Zeagle Express Tech and having the "vintage mod" done to it. Basically, an extra set of lower strap holders are added to the plate. It allows you to lower the BP to where is should be and at the same time, keep the waist strap located where is should as well. It is very easy to remove the bladder if you are so inclined. It only takes a minute or 2 with no tools (other than a couple of coins) to remove it for a more vintage style diving or replace it to make the scuba nazi's happy. It's not vintage but it plays well with all type of regs, very light for travel (< 4 lbs with the standard 24 lb wing), can be configured winged or wingless in a few minutes and sells for around $250 US.

Thanks for the suggestion Herman,
Since last night I've been thinking about the horizintal WOB issue. I read that the WOB is directly related to the position of the mouthpiece to the cans. I think that the ABS campac mounts hold the cans too high off my back. That would explain why it got easier to breath when turning my head sideways (raises the mouthpiece higher and closer to the reg). I am going to experiment next with a simple carapace rig that should put the cans as close to my back as humanly possible.
I'll post the results in this thread when I do it.

Thanks Herman... That is basically what I am looking at except I already have a wing I like so I just need the backplate.

Back
Top Bottom