Which PADI specialty courses are most popular?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

americanoregon

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Those of you who teach or work in shops, which specialties are in greatest demand? Another question, which ones are clients most satisfied with, and which ones are more often a disappointment?

personally i think the golf ball retrieval speciality is pretty cool but instructor hubby tells me Nitrox is his highest speciality signoff

It will depend a great deal on where you are. Not a lot of call for Ice Diver here, but I'm sure in some areas this is hugely popular :wink:

Photography is always a favourite with our clients as are Naturalist, Fish ID and Video. Nitrox is good to have, though the course definitely requires a good instructor if you are to get the most out of it.

As I'm sure you will hear over and over, it isn't the course itself - it's the instructor who teaches it. The very best course can be ruined by an instructor who is clueless or careless or blase...the very worst course can be fabulous if taught by an instructor who cares and tailors the course to meet the needs and desires of the students. Almost all of the specialties I teach have ample room to be tailored individually and that is important.

Unless you're an instructor looking to market classes why would it matter which are popular? Shouldn't most folks be looking for classes on topics which interest them or will be useful to them and in which they'll learn the most?

@ my shop, nitrox and deep (130ft) are the most popular.

PADI issued a report last year with the highest number of certifications issued. The first three were:

1) Deep Diver
2) Boat Diver
3) Enriched Air Nitrox

I only remembered the top three as it surprised me that boat and deep were at the top.

Back
Top Bottom