Which post for DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are records on this. Shouldn't be very hard to find. Blue Madison spring deaths in Fla. Or Cave divers in Fla. & Deaths. Your right It isn't DIR to die but it's not any other agency either. They have to figure out a way to monitor there left post more accurately.

But a fact is that TWO DIR divers DIED approx. 2 yrs. ago a Madison Blue. DIR will not take responsibility for it. Conclusions drawn were that The donor went to his back up. Finds out that he is out of air on the back up or it's not on. INSTANT TUG-O-War match for the one reg that has air. Tug O War led to Two deaths. The left post had been rolled off due to bumping. Yes, There set up was exactly what DIR wanted. Yes they followed every step properly leading up to this
You call them DIR divers because they had their backup on the left post???
You say that DIR won't take responsibility for it???
You say they followed every step properly leading up to this???

Don't be ridiculous...
DIR isn't just about equipment configuration.
DIR isn't an entity that can take responsibility for it.
DIR divers don't have tug O wars over the long hose... (like you were there to see and report that fact.)
DIR is about training that includes checking periodically for left post roll off & valve drills to turn on a rolled off left post.

I think you got a bug bittin' ya somewhere and just want to start another DIR argument. I really wish you could just discuss things without trying to pick a fight because I'm sure your a nice guy and all.

Originally posted by bengalsmgtsucks
There are records on this. Shouldn't be very hard to find.
You made the claim, you do the legwork. That's how debate works.

Roak

Originally posted by roakey

You made the claim, you do the legwork. That's how debate works.
Good luck. I'm still waiting for him to unmask the dive manufacturer reps and other Fellow Travelers on the board...

:rolleyes:

e-mail Mike Bruic as the owner (actually his mom owns it and he runs it) of madison blue he would know.

omar

There are records on this. Shouldn't be very hard to find. Blue Madison spring deaths in Fla. Or Cave divers in Fla. & Deaths. Your right It isn't DIR to die but it's not any other agency either. They have to figure out a way to monitor there left post more accurately.
Well, y'see, that's just the problem... such searches aren't showing any results... so, I'm coming to the source of the information in this thread - obviously you already have the original source material or you wouldn't be posting it, right? So, howzabout a link or three, please.
Thankyouverymuch...
Rick

I don't know anything about this website but the info looks valid and it sounds like what this guy is talking about.
http://www.iucrr.org/19991019_01.htm

I am not going to comment on the argument at hand as I have no experience to speak from.

Distance to nearest exit 850', one guy's cylinders are empty, the other's only have 500 psi in them.

It looks like this dive was a complete Charlie Foxtrot.

Only someone who was looking for a reason to run their hose from the left post would look past the multitude of *other*, more basic mistakes made and draw the conclusion that the long hose on the right post is a bad idea.

Diving a DIR configuration doesn't make someone DIR. And DIR is in itself not a panacea, it may radically reduce the possibility of a fatal error, but it certainly doesn’t eliminate it. Nothing can.

One of the more umbrella conclusions that we can draw from this information is that yes, if you make enough mistakes you can in fact die in a cave.

Roak

Ps. Another conclusion we can come to is that this note was a pure troll, since BMS asked a "quick question" and then argued about the answer. If you want to debate something, at least be honest about it. You got your answer, DIR configures the backup (not "alternate") on the left post.

LMAO,

OK. Blue Madison is NOW state Owned so no one's mama owns it. Also, I just want to know why pug is getting so defensive on this. If these divers were PADI or NAUI would you be getting so defensive. I just wonder why the donor would breath of a reg that may have been rolled off? Would it not be better to know right away if they valve had accidentally been rolled off. NO I was not in the cave when these divers died. Everyone can draw there on conclusion to what happened down there. But the donors left post had been rolled off. It was obvious there had been a struggle. This would appear to me and to about everyone else that there was a TUG-O-War match for the one reg that was working. And YES....AGAIN...YES...DIR divers would go into a tug-o-war over that reg if they truely thought they were about to DIE. It doesn't really matter if they were PADI, NAUI, or whoever....TUG-O-War most likely would have took place.

I am going to get another set of doubles sometime in the future. 4 1/2 yrs. ago when I dove doubles I was never concerned about which post or which side...etc....etc....etc...
Obviously I am concerned now. I'm just trying to figure out the safest configuration. It appears to me that I want to breath from the left post in case of a roll-off.

I'm just trying to figure out the safest configuration. It appears to me that I want to breath from the left post in case of a roll-off.
If you're so scared spitless over a left post roll-off, which is a SIMPLE problem to detect and fix, you don't belong any place where you *need* doubles. This is on the same order as folks that don't want to donate the reg that they're breathing. If you can't handle that, stay away from so-called "technical" diving.

You brush the ceiling, you check your left valve. If you suspect your SPG isn't going down, you check your left valve and isolator. If you're killing time waiting for your buddy to tie in or something, check all of your valves, it's good practice.

Even if the thing is off when you donate your primary and stick the backup in your mouth, you've been OOA for maybe 5 seconds and to reach back and turn it on is not a problem. The fact that the SPG is on that reg means you'll even get a little air from its hose, probably one slow breath (an interesting experiment I'll have to try).

It's not a problem and to use that one incident where so much else had gone wrong as an excuse to support what is obviously a conclusion that you've already settled upon is horribly flawed.

But that the beauty of diving, you can configure any way you want, and I can invoke rule #1.

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom