Which post for DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
...I think I was mistaken about something in my last post.
You're right , UP... you should have used "you're" rather than "your".... :) :) :)
Sorry... couldn't resist :)
Rick

Anna Bruic was the owner at the time of this alleged DIR accident.
Mike Bruic was running it.

Go get the proper training before you try this stuff or you will make similar mistakes with the same result.

omar

Also, you have the inflator you can breath off of which is coming off of the right post. If you donate a working long hose you know that the inflator will work and you can address the roll off.

Where is it said that these 2 guys were DIR? Because they had Halcyon wings? Halcyon is a name brand. DIR didn't own up to this? What is that BS, DIR isn't a training agency. Its an approach to diving that encompasses many things.

After talking with CKharlan he mentioned that the left post should be tapped in the opposite direction. This would eliminate most chances of a roll off on that post. Me personally...I am all for uniformity...However...I wish the uniformity in DIR had the donor breathing his primary from the left post instead of the right. I just think if you had a roll off you could correct the problem immediately rather than find out the hard way like these two guys did.

So...Have the manufacturers discussed this option at all for the left post? What can we do to get them to do it?

"So...Have the manufacturers discussed this option at all for the left post? What can we do to get them to do it?"

Go over to the techdiver forum and post your observations on DIR to George Irvine. :)

Tommy

The fact that the SPG is on that reg means you'll even get a little air from its hose, probably one slow breath (an interesting experiment I'll have to try).

Yes, you will....assuming that the air hasn't escaped since it has been rolled off, such as a few bursts of air into the drysuit or BC inflator, depending on the specific configuration. I have tried this a couple times, and it allows for about a half a breath at about 90ft.

On a related note, recently when exiting the cave at Cow Springs(about 400' from the exit), a right hand valve knob from a ScubaPro manifold was found(I still have it!).....and looked like it had been beat up pretty bad, which is bothersome since there are no real restrictions in Cow except the entrance and a few in the 900-1500' range. Made us wonder if somebody was bouncing off the ceiling there in such a large part of the cave.

Mike

Originally posted by Wendy
Where is it said that these 2 guys were DIR? Because they had Halcyon wings? Halcyon is a name brand. DIR didn't own up to this? What is that BS, DIR isn't a training agency. Its an approach to diving that encompasses many things.

I was told that my Halcyon Explorer wings would make me DIR! ;-0

:eek:ut:

BMS,

I understand what you are saying about rolling off your left post. You say that you will be able to know that you have rolled off your valve if you are breathing off of that post. Great. Now let's look at it this two ways.

1) You, for some strange reason, have run out of backgas. You look to your buddy for his reg. He gives you his long hose, and life is good! You start to exit. However, your buddy's bouyancy ain't the greatest, because he is slightly stressed. You are leaving Devils system, and you are in the lips area. Your buddy nails the ceiling and rolls off the left post. The post that YOU are breathing off of. Once again, you can not breath. Now you think that both of you are out of air. Time for that panic thing to set in. You try to tell your buddy what is going on, but you are becoming more and more stressed as every second ticks off. Now what?

2)Same situation, you are out of air, and your buddy hits the ceiling rolling off his left post. You don't even notice, because you are breathing off the right post. Your buddy knows he hit the ceiling, and checks is left post. He turns it on, all is good.

Ok, let's add to the stress factor. Instead of rolling off the valve, your buddy rolls it off, and breaks it off. Now what? Let's find out.

1)You are breathing his long hose off of his left post. The long hose is now OUT of air. You have no way to exit except breathing off of his short hose. How do you pass the restriction when you can't do single file? Buddy breathing from even 500ft back would be a PITA. Good luck. Stress factor now at 100%.

2)You are breathing his long hose off of his right post. His regulator is now not working. What is he to do? Simple. He grabs his inflator hose, which works because it is on the right post, and breathes off of it. Notice I said breathe, not rebreathe. Stress factor is still higher than normal, but atleast you both have a way to get air.

If this does not change your mind and convince you, then nothing will. Good luck.

Originally posted by JamesK
If this does not change your mind and convince you, then nothing will. Good luck.
Thank you, James, for taking the time to lay it out so clearly and well. You get an "A" for the day!
Rick

Ditto that Rick! Nice work James!

BMS... have you even ever been in a cave?? Underwater I mean...

DSAO!!:mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom