Who does NOT log their dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

purely for myself so I can remember each dive and recall the amazing things I've seen down there. It's also interesting to note how, the more I dive, the less air and weights I need to use.

I log every dive. Of course it helps to make smarter decisions in planning future dives to the same site, and can help to jog your memory of technique tips told by other divers. It is also a "recreational diary" that can capture unique occurances and sights. For anyone with a memory like mine, if you plan on remembering the subtle nuances of your dives, you better write it down!

I wish I didn't have to though. The words "photographic" and "memory" are never paired together when discussing my recall.

I used to log my dives...

Then I quit for all the reasons Becky mentioned (except the camera)...

For fifteen years...

Until last year when I purchased a computer with a downloader...

Now I download and let my PC *log* my dives....

Now for something that counts:

If you are logging ALL your dives are you also assessing and logging your performance, new skills learned & old skills mastered? In other words: Are you improving?

I have several dive *buddies* that have 1000+ dives. I have dive *bubbies* with public safety diver training, military training, NOAA training, ect. Some of these guys have been diving for decades. One is currently a police diver on harbor patrol in a major US city.

And I have a partner that has been diving less than 2 years and has <300 dives and is a much better diver than any of them (read highly skilled.)

How about you....
Does your log book reflect progress or reiterations of stagnations?

I've found that the novelty of it wore off over time. First thing to go was collecting my buddies signature. Only time I really ever needed my log book was when I wanted to dive a tug boat in Ft. Lauderdale (I forget the name of the tug boat, starts w/an "S").
The shop wanted to verify that I've done a wreck within the past year. No problemo when I showed that I had dived the Saskatchewan in BC only a few months prior.

I tried to rekindle the novelty of the log book by making my own design on MS Word, but it didn't work. I still try to log dives, but now I do it strictly free-form using MS Word, kinda more like a journal. I don't try to put in a lot boring technical details and useless info, (e.g. total bottom time to date, what the &*^% does anybody need that for?) just the basics - location, date, weather, life time dive #. Then I just tell it like it is and type away.

Originally posted by Max bottomTime
Some friends and I had this conversation this past weekend.Some said that they dont log there dives any more. I have been diving for 4 years, I work as a DM for a local shop and I log every dive.I even use the back of the log sheet to write stuff on! So my question is how many of you do/dont log your dives?

Max.BT

I haven't actively logged my dives in over 10 years. I stopped logging all my dives after I became an instructor and only "logged" dives for some of the classes that I took which required it. All the dives I have records of are either my original log book or dives that I have d/led from my computers to review, my profile and deco accuracy, and to compute my gas consumption rates based on the actual dive (that is still several hundred "documented" dives). If a facility asks me for a log book I tell them that I stopped logging years ago, if they are concerned i tell them to dive with me, besides some of the certifications I hold and teach require a large amount of documented dives and have never had a problem. Its pretty easy to find out a divers true experience level and id the buls**tters.
A good dm or instructor can tell in general the divers competancy and confort before he/she ever enters the water. You can't see things like how fine their buoyancy control or buddy skills are but you can tell if they are in over their head.

has way to many blank pages;-0

Have to admit I've always found logging dives a bit of a hassle but I've just discovered this cool app for my Palm pilot so I might start doing it from now on. Go to www.handango.com and search for Ruiz, he's the guy who designed it. Give it a go if youv'e got a Palm it's pretty cool.
See ya.

I didn't log for the first two decades [except for LORAN coordinates of sites], but when my bride started diving in '90 she brought home a log book... so I started, and have been logging dives religiously ever since. Now I wish I'd logged the first twenty years, 'cause as Twain said, "the older I get the more difficult it becomes to separate those things that did happen from those that did not... soon, I suppose, I'll only be able to remember those that didn't."
Rick

I log all dives that are over 15 minutes and deeper than 15 feet or the rare dive that is less than that when I learned a valuable lesson.

As a divemaster, I don't normally record pool dives as they are usually less than my personal 15/15 rule, but again I'd record them if something notable happened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom