Who does NOT log their dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I first started I detailed everything, then for awhile just the highlights, now I'm sort of in the middle.

I transfer the information from my hand-written log to an electronic version which allows me to view stats.

Not only does my book provide details of the who, what, where of the dive, but I'll also add "spotting" notes. These typically include the marine life that I've encountered - I name what I can, describe what I can't. They bring back very happy memories, - especially the one about encountering a "very fresh diver"

My log book is for me, I keep records of dates, times, weight, viz, temps, etc. for future reference. I dive lots of different places. I keep the records so when I go back I know what to expect so I can right down to diving.

Also use it for contacts and friends that I have made along the way. It has become sort of a diary. I would be lost without it. It's fun to look back over the dives, I can almost visualize each and every one.

ID

Yes and no
I log everydive in the dive manager for medical reasons.
I personally think it tells alot more about you as a diver when you actually can check out and visualy inspect your dives.
it shows if you are any good with boyance control or not, it shows if you jojo dive or sawteethdiver immediatly.
it tells if you ascent or descent fast or slow.
it shows what type of diver you are immediatly.

I normally dont record in a logbook for the reason that if anyone wants to know any information of my dives its all in the computer and it will be with me.
so i can actually replay all the dives they want, instead of a paper loggbook wich anyone can fake, the dives can still be faked, but not as easy.

safe diving

I log most of mine, but even the ones that I do log must be the old adage, "at least ten minutes at ten feet". I seldom get a verification signature. I primarily keep mine for my own personal records. (I keep immaculate equipment records)
I keep a standard, (homemade), log book and a separate "quick log", (which only contains the bare elements in case of loss).
I have a friend who is very experienced and has several different specialties but he quit logging dives years ago. Now he sincerely regrets that he quit doing it.
I can't see doing it "just to log dives" but my logbook has been a valuable reference for me for many, many years.

I log dive number, date and time of dive, location, air, surface and thermocline temps, weather conditions, average depth, maximum depth, amount of gas used, running divetime to date, length of dive, total accumulate divetime, equpment used, notes, and a place for a buddy's signature.
Norm

My instructor laughs at me because I have a small calculator in my log book and use it along with my dive computer to calculate my "exact" average depth. All of my OW dives are logged, guess I never even thought to consider pool time as dive time. I still have the same log I started when I began diving. It's one that an instructor at the university made up and it can hold 9 dives per page. Just basic information: date, dive number, location, temperature (water/air), visibility, depth, bottom time and total logged time as well as a place for buddy signature. I used to put small notes on the line for each dive but on my 54th dive I saw a big soft shell turtle and didn't have room to write the specifics. That's when I started using the backs of the pages to describe what went on during my dives as well as what I saw and what equipment I was wearing. My first dive vacation with the new system required the addition of extra pages just for descriptions of dives! Not a problem because I put my dive log into a 3-ring binder. My fiance gave me another idea, laminate the pages you have filled! Some of his dive log entries were badly smeared a number of years ago when another diver accidentally dumped a bootie full of water onto his dive log. I liked the laminating idea so much he bought me a full sheet laminator for Christmas last year, I can fit 2 pages of my log in an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of laminate. When I got my dive computer I typed up the most helpful information from the instruction booklet, laminated it and put it in the front of the dive log and am VERY glad I did! I can also laminate other things and insert them, I like to put in a postcard from anywhere I go for a dive vacation. I also colored and laminated the "Far Side" cartoon by Gary Larson that shows the shark spitting out the scuba gear and put that after the page where I logged my first "shark dive." I've decided that I want my log to take me back to my dives as well as be fun to look back through! I'm really sorry now that I didn't think of this for my first 53 dives because I had a wonderful trip to Grand Turk logged in there but I can't mentally go back to the dives because I lack the information I need to be able to enter my dive fantasy ;-0

AHH, the ramblings of a rabbit with a head cold! :sneeze:
Ber :bunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom