who uses nitrox?

Do you use nitrox?

• Not trained to use it.

Votes: 23 16.8%
  • Don't see a need for the type of diving I do.

Votes: 13 9.5%
  • I use it mainly for the safety benefit.

Votes: 40 29.2%
  • I use it for the type of diving I do, ie to get a longer bottom time.

Votes: 84 61.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used air after cert, but kept feeling queasy and sometimes 'buzzed' and dizzy after.
Switched to nitrox and felt great.

CBulla:
You should add the option for "depends on the type of dive I do"

That would be my vote as well.

I will typically go with EANx 32 for anything up to about 100 feet. Beyond 100 feet, I start adding helium based mixes. Depending on time and depth, I will then use some sort of nitrox and or oxygen for decompression.

No problem with just air for shallower stuff but that I can't think of the last time I used just air in my tanks no matter what the dive.

I dive nitrox every chance that I get. Less nitrogen is always a good thing and it makes it far easier to do two trips (four dives) of Great Lakes wreck diving two or three days in a row. My bottom time would be severely limited with air in the same type of diving.

Also, as I said, on any type of diving, I would like to minimize my nitrogen loading. This goes for a thirty ft. shore dive or 140 ft. dive planned with staged decompression.

ScubaDadMiami:
I can't think of the last time I used just air in my tanks no matter what the dive.
I'd have to make an effort, but I think it was before I got my nitrox cert. My LDS sells pre-mixed bank gases, so I just top off my tanks, and usually pay less than $5.00 for a nitrox fill...needless to say, I dive nitrox 100% of the time; even on beach dives.

Lots of good information and input here. Any time you can reduce nitrogen uploading I say go for it. That is really the best reason to use it. There are many studies coming out on how deep air is not good for your body.

Before you start thinking the PADI EANx is a primer for tech diving you might want to look at what tech diving entails. You are talking about Planned stage decompression diving with either an actual or virtual ceiling that can not be violated.

I think the NAUI Tech Program is the way to go. You might check it out. Bruce Weinke is on the board of directors and he is the guy doing all the RGBM stuff.

The RGBM tables are being tested by the Navy and look to be adopted over the next year or so.

Hope this helps

I was just certified about 2 months ago. Haven't used it since the course but haven't really had a chance to. The diving I've done since hasn't required it by a longshot. It did afford me some extra time to watch the sharks in Thailand. It'll give me more time on the local wrecks in the future.

I'm over 40-- I use Nitrox for multi-dive/multi-day diving. I use it for DCS margin. I've never been bent, and I don't want to come close.

I use it mainly when doing multiple dives over multiple days, and tend to get a Nitrox mix, calculate max depth and o2 exposure and then use air computer to give extra safety margin, particularly when you are pushing the NDL limits on air. Have used it for the odd dive to enhance bottom time too, but have used it overall for less than 10% of dives since I got trained to use it. With regards to feeling better, I used to notice much more of a difference in how i felt after diving with and without Nitrox when i was a newer diver and had a less controlled ascent rate - now I find that the slower I come up the better I feel afterwards, regardless of whether is air or Nitrox.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom