Who Uses their SMB and Deploys it At Depth Before Ascending to the surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suppose there's no real harm in inflating it every time. I should change my habits, I guess.
Depends. If you pop it right next to your moored dive boat, the crew might mistake it as a distress signal. I've had the rescue diver suddenly show up and check on me when I did that just for practice and forgot to tell them ahead of time.

DSMB deployment is an essential skill where I dive ... which is why it's a skill that's part of my AOW curriculum. It is not, however, a panacea. I don't always agree with Dan Volker, but in this case I do. Don't ever assume that any boat operator will know ... or care ... what it is.

The primary purpose of a DSMB is to provide YOUR boat operator with a visual reference of where you are. It's particularly useful in current ... whether diving from an anchored or live boat. It is not particularly useful in warding off other boaters ... more often than not it'll attract some dumbass who just has to motor over to see what it is.

Boaters are distressingly ingnorant of the purpose of dive flags ... much less DSMBs. I just this past week-end watched a boat intentionally motor over to our dive boat ... while divers were in the water ... and pull up almost alongside of us to ask directions, completely oblivious to those two big-ass flags flying off the bridge. How effective a deterrent do you think a DSMB would've been?

When you're surfacing, don't ... ever ... assume that a boat will give you space just because you've got a bag on the surface. They're as likely to drive over and try to fish it out of the water, thinking somebody lost something they might find a use for ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added July 19th, 2013 at 07:16 AM ----------

Depends. If you pop it right next to your moored dive boat, the crew might mistake it as a distress signal. I've had the rescue diver suddenly show up and check on me when I did that just for practice and forgot to tell them ahead of time.

... best way to avoid that happening is to mention to the boat operator that when you surface you will be deploying a bag ... that way they don't mistake it for a distress signal. In some parts of the world, that's generally what it means ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

There is always a Bob up when I surface in an ocean, it is not always mine but I always carry one. however we saw some Fl boaters charge right over some floats with flags. seems they miss that in the FL boater safety courses. never had a problem anyplace else.

There is always a Bob up when I surface in an ocean, it is not always mine but I always carry one. however we saw some Fl boaters charge right over some floats with flags. seems they miss that in the FL boater safety courses. never had a problem anyplace else.

They have boater safety courses in Florida?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

They have boater safety courses in Florida?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Only required if you're younger than 21.

I'm basically with Dan and Wookie on this. Where I dive most, South Florida, it's drift and there is a charter boat running interference as well as a DM in the water with a float. If I surface in the vicinity of the DM and float, I monitor for a boat as I surface then only deploy a safety sausage at the surface if the dive boat is not right there. If I have separated from the DM, I have a DSMB and reel that I can deploy at depth.

I actually just purchased my SMB a few weeks ago and I'm looking forward to learning how to properly deploy from depth. I also plan on taking it on every dive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I only use mine when not coming up the anchor line. Part if my hope is that the boast will see it as and run interference for us on the surface while we ascend and safety stop.

Just this last weekend we used it as a float while snorkeling because some rich guy on a 18 meter yacht kept trying to run over his own children so we wanted to make sure we were seen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I use one all the time that I am not coming up a anchor line. I even practice and use it in the local quarry doing my safety stops and or decompression. it not only marks your location but can add to the ability of boats in the area seeing you.

Though on the topic of using it solely to ward off boats I find a lot of flaw in that and this is why.

1. Many smb are not colored the same as a dive flag. So other then avoiding running something over there is no legal reason to stay away.
2. Many boaters don't know what dive flags are (or they play dumb). I have seen first hand boaters think they are to be used to have fun or be used to hook to their boats. Their has been numerous horror stories on here as well about that.
3. The ability for a larger boat in non flat seas to see your smb.

On the topic of teaching this in OW I love the idea and see the need but thee is a flaw in that as well.

Deploying a bag or smb at depth takes some skill. First buoyancy is key, unless you are shooting it from the very bottom and you are kneeling on the ground. If you are in the water column shooting a bag can cause a non experience diver to loose neutral buoyancy and start a unsafe accent. It adds a lot of additional tasks to a newer diver that could already be task overloaded. The diver needs to make sure that they are clear of the lines and that everyone and everything else is clear as well. Then they need to fill it, most smb are closed so they need an additional inflator or need to detach their low pressure and use that. This now leaves them without a bc until they complete the task at hand of shooting a bag. If they happen to have a open design they have to make sure that it has enough air and does not collapse once it hits the surface. If this all goes well then you need to manage the line to avoid entanglement, bird nests and so on. Along with mgmt the bag / smb at the surface will be prone to currents and waves causing a fluctuation of the diver in the water column.

I would love to see it taught but I think it is a skill that should be taught in advance and that the open water divers rely on the professionals they hired to deploy markers when necessary.

Thats just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom