Who wants to Discuss Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone dove the "Wild Side"? I looked into it the last time I was there but did not get a chance to give it a try. It seems like the diving might be a good bit different considering the different character of that side of the island.

You were at Eden Beach the same week as us.

Hi Kristi_TN.
There is a condition known as PBB (Post Bonaire Blues) I am suffering from this, we where there a week after you. In fact if you flew continental through houston we got off the plane you got on.
quote]

Cool Tom! Was a great week.:D

We didn't stay at Eden beach, how was it? The resort grounds looked good.

Hi Kristi_TN.
There is a condition known as PBB (Post Bonaire Blues) I am suffering from this, we where there a week after you. In fact if you flew continental through houston we got off the plane you got on.
quote]

Has anyone dove the "Wild Side"? I looked into it the last time I was there but did not get a chance to give it a try. It seems like the diving might be a good bit different considering the different character of that side of the island.

If your talking about Larry's Wild Side, I have dove with him. IMO, it's fine to do once but I don't see going again unless someone who has not done it just wants a buddy. I did not consider it very wild or difficult but compaired to the normal boat dive on Bonaire it is a little more intense.....but nothing like 6ft seas here in NC. Alll in all, a fun dive but not a must do every trip.

If your talking about shore dives from the windward side, I have not done those but from what I have read and understand it is a VERY good idea to get a local guide as entry and exits are tricky.

My son wanted to do the "Wild side" dive for his birthday @2 yrs ago. It was a novelty for a 12 year old to dive from an inflatable, and it was fun, but it was not a "don't miss this dive" experience. We might do it again someday, but with all the great free shore diving available on Bonaire, I'll be in no hurry to spend the money.

Hi Herman: see you all in Bonaire soon. Just not soon enough!!! Jim

Cool Tom! Was a great week.:D

We didn't stay at Eden beach, how was it? The resort grounds looked good.

Hey there!! As for Eden Beach..we really liked it. The beach was nice, people were very friendly and helpful. We will be staying there again in October...rooms were kept up and safe...

My son wanted to do the "Wild side" dive for his birthday @2 yrs ago. It was a novelty for a 12 year old to dive from an inflatable, and it was fun, but it was not a "don't miss this dive" experience. We might do it again someday, but with all the great free shore diving available on Bonaire, I'll be in no hurry to spend the money.

Hi Herman: see you all in Bonaire soon. Just not soon enough!!! Jim

For what it's worth, we had a 12 ys, a 13yo, a 15ys and a 16 yo young divers with us on that dive, all of which did fine so "wild" it's not.

I am soooo ready Jim, check out the vintage dive at Weekie Wachie thread, I may be diving that reg this year on Bonaire. (Ber Rabbits photos)

Hi Tom...I have never dove the "wild side" but heard Larry's trip is fun (if $100 is within your budget). I have heard the same also with the shore diving aspect of it. The current is really whipping in the bay and to get in and out if it you have to be a REALLY strong finner and will use most your air on the entry and exit aspect of it. Some do not make it back in before they run out of air and have to surface swim...
Not my cup/o/tea. However, I have been told that you see larger fish and MORE on that side...seems to me the boat would be worth it, if it was something that was "calling to you".

The guide is a big deal also, the local divers know the best way with the currents and it depands on the wind that day as to the best direction to take...whew...no thanks..lots of divers love it though..

Larry's Wild Side is a good option for the east side. Larry's Wild Side Diving - Diving Rigid hull inflatable built for seas. Eddie and Heis run a very safe boat. They are often called upon to pick up shore divers who try and do the area around Lai Cai without a guide.

If you are interested in making dives form shore I would recommend Bas Tol. He knows the area well having put in 100's of dive there. Happy to provide an email address if you would like to write me through the board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom