• OMS

Votes: 34 10.2%
  • Zeagle

Votes: 20 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 47 14.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My plate is custom made for my LDS by a local metal shop - it is quite nice and I haven't seen any burrs or fraying of the webbing in the 50 or so dives I have on it. OMS comfort harnes and Deep Outdoors Covalant wings. I haven't had any problems and have no complaints about either but have never dove with any other setup. I will say that I would have liked to go with OMS wings just to match the harness but really did not like the external bungies - seemes like an accident waiting to happen. I should also add that being realitivly new, I do still rely heavly on the expertiece and advice of my LDS. I may try somthing different in the future once I know better but I am quite happy with what I have right now.

Just looked at the poll results and DSS is leading by a lot, which just goes to show what a small company with amazing customer service can do. I have a Deep Sea Supply SS plate with single and double horseshoe wings and the gear has been perfect; particularly love the captured nuts for attaching doubles.

Anyone who thinks "a plate is a plate" hasn't seen a lot of plates. There is a huge amount of variance out there.

My fave, hands down, is FredT's 12 lb SS heavy plate, finished. The thing could be an exhibit in the New York Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art. It is awesome.

Tobin also has some fairly cool innovations going, specifically the removeable weight plates and the lined slots for the webbing.

Anyone diving dry knows the occasional trim benefits of a heavy plate, and while I own the FredT and love it, the flexibility of Tobin's removable weight plates might appeal to me if I were traveling from cold ocean to warm ocean on a regular basis.

I own three wings, all are Halcyon.

FWIW. YMMV.

My Abyssmal BP is steeply bent and follows the curve of my back nicely, while my flatter DiveRite plate sticks out and away from my back with much less contact. So, for me, flatter is worse. (Since I quit trying to "correct" my posture, thanks to a Pilates friend, by standing chest-out-shoulders-back, I haven't had any back problems)

cool_hardware52:
So if I follow your argument all BP&W's are the same, and it's only my presence here that explains the current poll results. Our products and service have nothing to do with it right?

*sigh*

No... I didn't suggest anything like that at all... and you know it. I'm pretty sure the Maximus wouldn't be numero uno even if Mr. ScubaL became a Scubaboard Guru.

But do you really believe that these poll results would be the same if the guys that I mentioned above were here every day promoting their product? Really? JJ? Flannagan? Patrick? 'Cmon! Get real! DSS makes some good stuff... but not THAT good.

It makes one wonder why the heck they aren't here... oh wait... I already answered that one... didn't I?

cool_hardware52:
That's quite a lot of very specific sales data on 4 privately held companies. Can I inquire as to your source?
Tobin

You may inquire... but you will be disappointed with the answer.

Stephen Ash:
*sigh*

No... I didn't suggest anything like that at all... and you know it.

Let me refresh your memory
Stephen Ash:
Ask which Bp/wing is the favorite here on SB and you will get "DSS"... 'cause... well you get the idea.

If JJ camped on this list, then Halcyon would lead the pack... Oxy would take over if Patrick lived here... and DiveRite would be the leader if Flanagan had 2000 posts.

If you aren't implying it's my presence and not my products or service what exactly is your point?

Stephen Ash:
But do you really believe that these poll results would be the same if the guys that I mentioned above were here every day promoting their product?

A very very small number of my posts are unsolicited promotions of my products. Most are generic answers to BP&W questions, a few are answers to direct question about DSS goods. Of my 1700+ posts I'd doubt more than 20 are new product annoucements etc. The majority of my posts say nothing about DSS. I see it as way to give back. Divers have questions, misconceptions abound, I help where I can.

Stephen Ash:
Really? JJ? Flannagan? Patrick? 'Cmon! Get real! DSS makes some good stuff... but not THAT good.

Let's see here, first you try imply it's my presence, not my products

Then you say you never suggested that, and I know it,

Then again you say it can't be my products

While the results of the poll are heartening, I don't put much stock in polls that have a tiny, non random sample. One can question the methodolgy and the poll results without questioning either my products or efforts to help fellow divers here at SB.

Would your reponse differ if your favorite maker was leading?

Stephen Ash:
You may inquire... but you will be disappointed with the answer.

I'd be stunned to receive a genuine answer to any simple direct question I put to you, but there's a first time for everything.

Tobin

catherine96821:
oh...thanks. So where are the DIR people putting the furled SMB?

Who manufacturers your inflater?

Hi Catherine,

I carry a lift bag rolled up and bungeed across the bottom of my plate. I carry a pre rigged SMB in my thigh pocket.

We use a generic Inflator. Molded plastic body, plated brass "cartridge" inlet valve assembly. Very commonly used in the industry. I don't really know who the OEM is, just who I source them through.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
I'd be stunned to receive a genuine answer to any simple direct question I put to you, but there's a first time for everything.

Tobin

Whatever.

Dang Tobin, relax a little.

cool_hardware52:
Let me refresh your memory

If you aren't implying it's my presence and not my products or service what exactly is your point?

A very very small number of my posts are unsolicited promotions of my products. Most are generic answers to BP&W questions, a few are answers to direct question about DSS goods. Of my 1700+ posts I'd doubt more than 20 are new product annoucements etc. The majority of my posts say nothing about DSS. I see it as way to give back. Divers have questions, misconceptions abound, I help where I can.

Let's see here, first you try imply it's my presence, not my products

Then you say you never suggested that, and I know it,

Then again you say it can't be my products

While the results of the poll are heartening, I don't put much stock in polls that have a tiny, non random sample. One can question the methodolgy and the poll results without questioning either my products or efforts to help fellow divers here at SB.

Would your reponse differ if your favorite maker was leading?

Tobin

You know, it really saddens me to see two people who I think contribute a great deal to this board at such odds.

Stephen's an Oxycheq person, and Oxycheq makes some good products. I own an Oxycheq plate (because I bought it as part of a package from Bob) and an Oxycheq O2 analyzer, where I think they have the best product on the market, at least from my research.

I own an DSS wing (because I bought it as part of a package from Bob) and DSS boots for my compass and computer, and DSS hose hats for my inflator hoses. I've referred people to DSS for their first BP/W setup, partly because the singles rig DSS sells is SUCH a good value for money, and partly because I know from experience that Tobin won't sell a setup to somebody until he's sure they're getting what they need and what will work for them.

Both companies make good products. Tobin goes out of his way to be here and give the same advice over and over and over again, whenever somebody starts to ask about how to calculate the lift they need, or about weighting issues.

I just don't see any necessity for you two guys to get riled at one another, and I'm sorry to see it happen. We can have a world of competing products without being nasty!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom