Why a Back-Inflate BC Instead of BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently switched over from a Seaquest Balance to a BP/W with standard hog harness. I was initially concerned about underwater comfort/chafing because I generally dive in just a bathing suit - no shirt or anything. My concerns really wound up being unwarranted - I feel like I have almost no BC on at all underwater now -- much more "at one" with the BC. Trim/stability all much improved. I also went from needing about 8lbs in my Balance to 0 lbs in my BP/W, with an AL plate.

As for negatives, it is more difficult to get in and out of. Requires a bit of squirming around, but no huge deal. I also would not want to spend much time in the thing outside of the water, though I don't see that being an issue worth worrying about.

All in all, I am very happy with the switch and am happy I drank the "kool-aid" on this board.

A few quick thoughts. I have never used a BP/W so I can't comment on that. I have used a regualr jacket bc and a rear inflate BC. I currently use an Aeris Reef Rider rear inflate BC-see picture. Here are the advantages: dry weight 5 lbs, packs small for travel, no inherent bouancy, streamlined like a BP/Wing, two big pockets. The main advantage (I would guess) over a back plate is that in warm shallow water (e.g. beach diving in summer in Hawaii) I just wear a bathing suit and a long sleeve rash guard. The Reef Rider in lined in something like a suede/short nap felt. It is extremely comfotable. Without a wet suit I only need 6lbs of weight (9lbs with a 0.5mm full suit for deeper dives). I don't know if I could do this with a BP/Wing. I have never used the shouder stap releases. Also, no issues with tank (Al 80) moving about. To get out I just loosen the straps. Integrated weight pouches are a part of the BC so I dont have to pay extra for a ditchable system. Finally, cost-I have seen this BC on sale for less than $300.00. I never saw a BP/W combo for less than $800.

OxyCheq 18 wing--250 dollars
OxyCheq Mini Plate---45 dollars
Hog Webbing--under 50

Total-------------345 dollars

It is a myth that you cannot use a BP bare. I dive with a bare plate much of the time with just a swimsuit and maybe a rash guard or T shirt or even skip the T shirt. It works fine. I do put chafe guards on the shoulder straps, that is it.

N

hey guys i see you talking about wearing t-shirts and light suits but how does it help with a thicker wet suit like a 7mm i'm new to diving and i love it but i'm looking to streamline a little
i'm using a back inflate bc and as a chubby guy i need substantial weight to get in the right zone
like i said i new to all this and hear great things about bp/w in warmer areas but i live in jersey and most of my diving wil be colder dives when the "bennies" leave the shore.

hey guys i see you talking about wearing t-shirts and light suits but how does it help with a thicker wet suit like a 7mm i'm new to diving and i love it but i'm looking to streamline a little
i'm using a back inflate bc and as a chubby guy i need substantial weight to get in the right zone
like i said i new to all this and hear great things about bp/w in warmer areas but i live in jersey and most of my diving wil be colder dives when the "bennies" leave the shore.

Back plate and wings shine in the cold water diving environment.

The lack of inherent buoyancy mans the ballast you carry is being used to offset the buoyancy of your exposure suit, not the inherent buoyancy of a float bc.

The 6 lbs of ballast the plate and harness provides is located over your lungs. In addition most back plate and wings provide a means to add ballast to the rig. Weighted STA's or the DSS bolt on weight plates are two examples of ways to add ballast to BP&W.

The ability to select a wing that matches the application, more buoyant suits need higher capacity wings, is another plus for a BP&W in cold water.

If you would like me to make a recommendation based on your specific application give me a call. 626-799-5078.

Tobin

BP&W, and a balmy 55° water temp last weekend. 50/52° typical, definitely not the hardcore ice diving crowd, but 7mm or drysuit diving year 'round. I think the BP&W really excels because of weight distribution for heavily weighted divers.

I use a SS plate which pulls 6# from my belt. I know some who put a 10# weight in the groove of the BP (I have seen as light as 6 & as heavy as 12#, there may be even more variations for this type of weight) which places the weight at a perfect balance point down your spine, well centered and trimmed. Some others add trim weights to the tank bands, since 2 tank bands are used, this gives even more adjustability to trim placement. What it all means is that it provides options that aren't available to a jacket type BCD. Also, all of this will still allow you to have appropriate ditchable weight on your weight belt (which won't hurt your hips any more).

Downside? I keep snagging my shoulder dump on the left shoulder strap getting into it.

Im a noob and Tried them all out and underwater
I have a less then 30 logged dive ,Cold and tropical water
I did my certification with location gear ,Regular Bcd that inflate from everywear Squeezing you and letting you know that you are pumping air into it.

I dove with a nice rear inflate BCD I think the name was Riptide , I really enjoy using it made me switch to rear inflated.

Then was time to buy my own Gear I got a Bp/w setup. Oms AL plate and SS stab , I got the harness with a release buckel ,that I never used and got my self 15ft of weight belt webbing and made a one piece hog out of it. I have a Oxycheq 30lbs wing.
Release buckel webbing was not comfortable and bulky. I do alot of shore dive and the buckel was digging into my lower shoulder.

I will never go back to regular BCD. just not worthed , my BP/w never move , never slide, never pry. basically you dont fell it.
perfect fit all the time , TOTAL FREEDOM

Regular BCD never gave me that felling underwater

And to travel Bp/w is better I think since once disassemble take less space then Huge bulking wieght int BCD.

What will you miss with Bp/w
-maybe pockets ,but you can always add.
-purging Air with wing is a new learning. it's easy but it's not the same in certain situation it can be tricky. it's only a new technique applicable only in certain situation. Took me 10 min figure out so no big deal here.

Bp/w will last for ever and will fit you perfectly with a skin suit all the way up to a big 14mm wet. Not a regular BCD

Keep on Diving and have fun

Last edited:
Why not get a BP/W? You can always add all the pockets, D-Rings, padding, quick releases and other stuff that would be on a traditional jacket style BC. Then if/when you realize you no longer want or need that extra baggage you can remove it.

The modularity of a plate/harness/wing is unmatched by any jacket BCD. You buy it once and can modify it easily for any type of future diving needs.

I'd have to second the BP/W. I dive downunder in Oz and people comment all the time on my rig, how compact it looks and the fact that i only carry 5 lb of weight (5mm wetsuit).

Furthermore I can recommend wholeheartedly, Tobin of Deep Sea Supply, give him a ring he was happy to talk and I ended up buying a single tank rig. Have used it with just a rash vest, no discomfort at all.

I'm amazed at all the myhts about BP/W. I switched to a BP (Hammerhead) and wing (Oxy Mach V) with a STA and I just love it
1. Pushes you face down on the surface - I never felt this at all. I guess that 11#/12# on my back gives me a nice balance. Regardless, I'm totally stable and comfortable on the surface.
2. Harness cuts/chaffs - again, I never felt this either! I DID feel, less material, less drag, less weight to carry and greater movement/freedom.

Once dialed in, you'll never go back.

Where are you finding the Oxycheq for $250? I'm only seeing them for $340+.

OxyCheq 18 wing--250 dollars
OxyCheq Mini Plate---45 dollars
Hog Webbing--under 50

Total-------------345 dollars

It is a myth that you cannot use a BP bare. I dive with a bare plate much of the time with just a swimsuit and maybe a rash guard or T shirt or even skip the T shirt. It works fine. I do put chafe guards on the shoulder straps, that is it.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom