Why are all my pics blue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TracyN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just started playing around with underwater photography but no matter how colorful the reefs are they always turn out blue. I can see yellows, blues, and blacks just fine but no red or other pretty colors. I know the reef is more colorful than what my camera is showing me. I understand that the further you go down the more color you lose. Is the only remedy for this to buy a strobe light? I tried using flash but when I do I get hundreds of orbs in the pictures that ruin everything.

The easiest solution is to get a red filter. "Magic Filter" is one brand, but you can also find a camera specific filter depending on your set up!!

Red is one of the first colors lost at depth.

What kind of camera are you using?

You cannot just set the camera to "Auto" and get good underwater photos.

For your non-flash pics if you have Photoshop try using this .atn file as it restores the red in "blue" photos. Download the file from HERE and install it in the Actions folder of Photoshop then open PS and load the Action then use it on the photo.

Can't tell you more until you tell us what kind of camera you are using and how you are using it.

You need more light....an external strobe or a sola 800 or 1200 video light. Sounds like a point and shoot setup. If you want to shoot video then you go right ahead because these lights are not strobes, they are video lights...soft, even light with no "orbs" because you mount it above and away from the lens. Easy fix you just need more light that's all

Filters help some but because the red light is reduces more and more as you decend you have to add more and more red filters to keep the color level constant.....and remove them as you accent. In addition, since they don't "add back" the red but actually remove the other colors, the amount of available light is reduced in an already low light condition. This requires slower shutter speeds and increases the likelyhood of blurry shots due to camera movement. Filters have a place but for the average vacation diver, they are a poor solution. Strobes are the only real way to restore the color and even then you have to realize that the max range of even the biggest, most expensive strobes is maybe 10 feet, a lot less with the low end and lower powered strobes.
The "orbs" you are seeing are known as back scatter and are your flashes light being reflected off particals in the water. Internal flashes are ok for very close shots - 2-3 feet max with no water backgound but otherwise they cause more problems than they solve. The only way to prevent them is proper strobe placement which requires the strobes to be placed a good distance from the camera and at the proper angle. This is one of the reasons low end strobes (Ike AF-35 is a prime example) are not very good since they limit the amount of distance from the camera you can place the strobes.

Finally, if your camera is capable of being placed in full manual mode, ie. you have control over both F-stop and shutter speed, use it. You need to learn to use the camera in manual mode to get the most out of it. No auto mode, even the so called "underwater" modes do a good job at selecting the proper settings.

My camera is a Sea Life Mini II. There is a strobe that can be used with it. would that make any difference

Yes. If you take pictures of subjects that are no more than about 36" away, the strobe will provide a full spectrum of light. The closer the subject, the more accurate the color will be. You will still have a blue background if you shoot a subject with a background of water, but if you keep structure out of the background, the subject will stand out against "negative space".
The strobe will also lessen the reflective backscatter you experience with the built in flash. Because it is farther from the lens, the reflection doesn't go directly back to the lens from whatever particulate is suspended in the water.
For the big panoramic pictures, you can do two things. First, as was suggested, use a filter and shoot no deeper than 40'. Second, process your shots as Gilligan suggested to add red.

I have the sea life strobe sl961 I can sell to you, I used on my past trip and I was like you using a camera without strobe for a long time , after I tried this strobe which is entry lvl I can See the diference this piece of equipment makes on pictures...

Let me know if you want it ...

sample pictures with the sea life sl961 and my 2005 cannon camera
CRW_5839.jpgIMG_5747.jpgIMG_5846.jpgIMG_5808.jpgIMG_5790.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom