Why are experienced divers getting killed and injured lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc:
Perhaps you just know more divers PF. Statistics show that the frequency of deaths are are about normal.

You know a lot more divers than I'll ever know, Pete. I'm finding these accidents from such high level of dive experience unusual though.

PF, I think it is conventional wisdom that two groups of divers are most at risk:

1) new divers

2) the most experienced and advanced

Of course, there is a message here... I guess it is that if you can acrue experience and yet maintain vigilance, you have the best state of mind for surviving the risks.

(sure hope I am correct...I do tend to mouth off and recollect the facts selectively at times...)

pilot fish:
You know a lot more divers than I'll ever know, Pete. I'm finding these accidents from such high level of dive experience unusual though.

i think you're just more wired into the dive community now, through ScubaBoard.

you just find out about more such accidents, that is all, giving the impression than
more are happening

catherine96821:
PF, I think it is conventional wisdom that two groups of divers are most at risk:

1) new divers

2) the most experienced and advanced

Of course, there is a message here...

(sure hope I am correct...I do tend to mouth off and recollect the facts selectively at times...)

That interesting. I was wondering about that. It makes sense, I guess. Still, I would think the latter group would be much less likely?

pilot fish:
The diver that got killed on the Andrea Doria this weekend was 49 and BigJet was 55. That does not seem too old to me. If that's the case I'd better be hanging my fins up soon.

I think you're right Andy, the more divers there are the more chance for accidents. But I'm still puzzled by the experience level of these divers.

I also don't think 49 and 55 are old but the risk of a heart attack or other problems at 49 and 55 are MUCH higher than at 25 or even 35. Diving the Andrea Doria is dangerous even for the well trained 25 yr old. Heck, Micheal Jordan, perhaps one of the best athletes in the world ever, retired much earlier than 49 and 55 because he simply couldn't compete at the same level anymore and he wasn't even doing anything as dangerous as diving. Lets face it, age plays a factor and older people are more active these days than they were even just 50 yrs ago.

catherine96821:
I am sure you are familiar with "gallows humor".
It serves as a release when very stressful things happen, so maybe just overlook it?
My take is people have been a bit shook up here lately and maybe the dialogue, even "tasteless" cracks is a healthy way for people to manage. One of the things I feel strongly about is that we just have to cut each other more slack than usual when the **** hits the fan.

I must say, I think I learned a lot in the discussions surrounding both accidents, both in the threads and in PM's once the discussion was "too hot to handle". You have to be able to joke around a bit, months later, or too much is pushed underground.
Both people involved in the accidents had/have huge humor.--even the off color
kind.

The Denton Tragedy was particularly well chronicled by a very devoted friend and dive buddy (on TDS) and many dive physiology points have been considered in a very useful way. Ultimately, it does not really matter much exactly what the causes were. That we can consider risks and ways to mitigate them in a constructive conversation is so valuable. The process of doing this together, as members of the dive community is also meaningful. It is not a trial...it is a human process.
Catherine,
Very well stated.

pilot fish:
Still, I would think the latter group would be much less likely?
Why? They are going to deeper darker places where bad things can happen. And Experience doesn't always equate to skill.

H2Andy:
really? think of your average pro athelete ... when do they retire?

why is that, i wonder?

deep, cold, deco diving is a young person's sport ... push your luck... and ....

and other problems creep up on you which young people don't have as much

the more experienced the diver, the more complex dives they are going to do.
the more complex the dive, the more things can go wrong.

given the large number of these sorts of dives being done, it is not surprising
that the odds are catching up

Makes a lot of sense, you usually do, so I think I'm going to keep it simplier as I age. AOW is fine and no need for trimix, cave, wreck penetration, or going below 140 ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom